DIY FEL

/ DIY FEL #1  

walhondingMF

Silver Member
Tractor
2012 MF2400
My GC2400 already has a 4 way hydraulic hook up from the previous owner's snow plow. I've done a little calling around and have maybe commented on it before on the forum. Even without the hydros, a new Massey FEL is going to run $3000. Not a chance the wife goes for that lol. Used is impossible to find. Have considered buying a Rural King FEL and modify maybe, but still going to be over $2000. Not sure I want to spend that on something I am not 100% sure will work.

SO that leads me to consider making my own. I would probably start by finding a used bucket and go from there. Has anyone made their own FEL before on here. There seems to be surprisingly little about it on youtube.

I'm not bad with a welder and want an excuse to buy one anyway. There's a large steel supplier only 30 minutes away so that won't be an issue.
Am I being to industrious here? Will the steel still cost so much that it may not be worth it?

Just looking for opinions and advise before I dive in. May make a good winter project for me.

/ DIY FEL #2  
Maybe scout out a used unit of a similar sized tractor and modify to fit. Say something off a Massey135. Building from scratch is labor intensive, also pricy at today's steel costs.

/ DIY FEL #3  
I'm no authority on building loaders but imo starting with an old loader designed for a tractor close to same size would increase the chances of success and provide a much stronger loader. I've seen orphan loaders for less than $500 and I expect you'd spend another 3-$500 on material like hose,cylinder rebuild kits and metal.

/ DIY FEL #4  
Remember that there is all the subframe to consider also... I strongly considered building my own from a used set of loader arms (for an old Ford 2000) and spent a lot of time on design alone - calculating the range of motion and lift capacity. This is not difficult to do but requires a lot of planning to do it right. One major consideration is that you don't want to build a FEL that is too much for the tractor. My neighbour just retrofitted a loader to his old machine and now he can't steer it! :eek:

I am all for DIY projects but in my case I decided that making my own was too much expense and too much time. My tractor was also only 2wd and no power steering - I decided to upgrade to be better machine. My trade value plus estimated cost of building a FEL came to about 1/2 of the cost of a brand new machine. Patience on the used market might find you a sweeter deal.

/ DIY FEL #5  
I've made two loaders so far. One for a Kubota B7000 and another for the Branson I currently have.

The one for the Kubota, was made maybe 15 years ago? It was very basic, with no quick attach for either the attachments or the loader itself. That was kind of a mistake as there are instances that the loader is just better off the tractor. This one, I bought some used cylinders from the scrapyard, along with some of the steel. I had very limited tooling and experience, so it didn't came out very pretty but worked very well.

HPIM4885.JPG

The one for the Branson, has Euro quick attach for the attachments, quick attach for the loader it self (takes less than 5 minutes to take off or put on). On this, I also built the cylinders myself, which only added to the fun of making it. I had most of the steel needed but ended up buying some more metal for the bucket and other random stuff. I have a thread about it here: Homemade loader for Branson tractor

IMG_20220428_165038.jpg

On the current day and age, I expect you to pay some crazy prices for steel. I'm currently converting an agricultural trailer to dump trailer and I had to buy some steel. Man, I felt like I was being robbed right there on the spot.

/ DIY FEL #6  
SO that leads me to consider making my own. I would probably start by finding a used bucket and go from there.
Make sure it is QA (Quick Attach).

/ DIY FEL #7  
If you think you can do it, go for it.

Last edited:
   / DIY FEL
I can make a lot of measurements from a family members sub compact. The suggestion of finding an old/ used FEL and modifying it seems very tempting to me. I am going to keep my eyes open for one. Changing hose fittings will not a big deal. Only having to make some adjustments may be convenient.

/ DIY FEL #9  
Got mine at an auction in 2005 for $650:

P6231740.JPG
P6231742.JPG

Bucket is 42 inches wide:

P6231746.JPG
P6231748.JPG

/ DIY FEL
Ill give you $651 for it lol