DIY third function , is this the correct solenoid valve?

/ DIY third function , is this the correct solenoid valve? #1  

davedj1

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L2501
https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200737667_200737667

If it is I will order it today along with the sub plate.
subplate: 1 Station D3 Subplate Open Center | Subplates | Hydraulic Adapters & Fittings | Hydraulics | www.surpluscenter.com

And any experience with this handle/control lever?
Two-Function Universal Pistol Grip Electric Control Handle

Or I could order this, seems like a reasonable price all things considering whats included.
https://www.amazon.com/Hydraulic-Fu...99&s=gateway&sprefix=third+fun,aps,154&sr=8-4

thanks

/ DIY third function , is this the correct solenoid valve? #2  
That looks right. I’d rather see you order a Hyvair valve and plate and Scorpion joystick switch since they are all American made. But these parts are the right design. Enjoy the project.

/ DIY third function , is this the correct solenoid valve? #3  
Sure Grip is Canadian, that's like the 51st state :)

The Summit kit's valve is not a subplate type. That should make a slightly smaller package but replacing the valve will require undoing all of the hydraulic connections. Which is probably fine for our kind of use.

/ DIY third function , is this the correct solenoid valve? #4  
   / DIY third function , is this the correct solenoid valve? #5  

With the first link, you do not end up with a selector valve. You want to be able to direct hydraulic flow to double acting cylinders in two directions.... like an A or B switch

Dave M7040

/ DIY third function , is this the correct solenoid valve? #6  
Sure Grip is Canadian, that's like the 51st state :)

The Summit kit's valve is not a subplate type. That should make a slightly smaller package but replacing the valve will require undoing all of the hydraulic connections. Which is probably fine for our kind of use.

Canadian aahhh!?!? Haha

I also notice the summit kit uses flat faced QCs. Not what most CUTS use. But they will work if everything else you have is flat face. New QCs are probably $75 or so (2 males and 2 females) depending on the source and quality.

/ DIY third function , is this the correct solenoid valve? #7  
That Summit kit is really a good deal IMHO, just add hoses and your done.

/ DIY third function , is this the correct solenoid valve?
With the first link, you do not end up with a selector valve. You want to be able to direct hydraulic flow to double acting cylinders in two directions.... like an A or B switch

Dave M7040

This is from the page of the valve:
Product Summary
This industrial-mobile Yuken Spool-Style 3 Hydraulic Directional Control Valve conforms to the National Fluid Power Association (NFPA) D03 mounting pattern for subplate or manifold mounting. As a 3-position, 4-way valve, it is commonly used to extend and retract a double-acting hydraulic cylinder or to control a rotary hydraulic motor. As a spring-centered valve, it will remain in its home position with all-ports commonly connected (open center), until shifted electrically to one of 2 positions to either extend or retract a cylinder, returning to home when the power is removed. Its molded coils are moisture and dirt resistant. Indicating signal lights, manual override, bolt kit and electrical junction box are standard. The valve mounts on Northern Tool Subplates 68306 (1/4in. port) and 68617 (3/8in. port).

/ DIY third function , is this the correct solenoid valve? #10  
Attached is the write-up I did on my 3rd function a while back. It includes the various parts & sources I used.

I went with a very specific sub-plate due to my choice of mounting locations. If you haven't already, I would HIGHLY suggest you do all the looking, figuring, and measuring on where you will mount your valve first so you don't end up with a surprise (like not being able to put a hose/ fitting where you thought you could)

As far as the actual grip - I like what John Deer has on their factory 3rd functions so I bought all the parts to put one together. Total cost at the time was about $80, a little more than half the grip you're looking at and I think the ergonomics are exponentially better.

At the end of the day, it's your toys so it has to be what's comfortable to you as the operator.

Best of luck with your project. Be sure to come back and share pictures of what you ended up doing.

Attachments

• 3rd function build - Revised.pdf
    2.5 MB · Views: 195