DIY tire changes- changers, balancers

/ DIY tire changes- changers, balancers #11  
I must be nuts but have finally updated my old air assisted Coats tireman tire changing machine and also added an electronic tire balancer. I even bought a stud gun and studs for winter tires.

If it isn't done right I will only have myself to blame.
Wow, you must do a lot more tire changes than I do to justify something like that.

My mechanic had to replace his tire machine a few years ago, the old one didn't handle modern rims/low profile tires very well.

Over-torquing of lug nuts by tire shops/mechanics has been a peeve of mine ever since I got my first car.
Yes Good stuff, works on squeaky rubber bushings /suspension parts to.
I'll have to check that out, I have an antique car myself and ever since I replaced the leaf spring bushings they squeak. Lube 'em, they're OK for a while but it doesn't last.

/ DIY tire changes- changers, balancers #12  
Ru-Glyde is great stuff. I do lots of motorcycle tires with a No-Mar changer, which is a rig that helps you change them by hand. I buy Ru-Glyde by the gallon and use it in a spray bottle. It doesn't stay slimey though, so I'd use something else to keep suspension points lubricated.

10607938_ags_rg18_pri_larg.jpg

/ DIY tire changes- changers, balancers #13  
I was pleased with the old Coates 40/40 I bought for $200.00 until I bought my 2014 CTS-V with 19" wheels. Now I want a newer tire changer.

/ DIY tire changes- changers, balancers
I was pleased with the old Coates 40/40 I bought for $200.00 until I bought my 2014 CTS-V with 19" wheels. Now I want a newer tire changer.

Yeah that is an advantage with the new machines.

The model I bought can do a 24" diameter X 12.5" wide wheel and up to a 44" tire. Wanted to make sure it would cover most tires I would deal with. If I start changing motorcycle tires may even buy the 4 standoffs for the machine to do them also.

The new rim clamp machine is also a "touchless" mounting system, so as long as it is set up and used "carefully" the bar and "duck head" never touches the wheel.
I figured if buying new I wanted a machine that could do medium sized 4 x 4 tires, Run Flats, and Low profile tires as well.
As far as cost , like I said the machines are "more" than holding their value, and I would have to pay $550 more today than what it cost me in mid December.
This "investment" is doing better for me than "investments" right now 😄 😱

Last edited:
   / DIY tire changes- changers, balancers #15  
Still getting use out of my Coats 10-10 Powerman. Like other here I have three trailers and five cars and I can do the unloaded fronts on the little Kubota.

I still have good success with the old bubble balancer if I really take my time.
The 20-20 was a great update with air bead seater. I keep looking for used ones, but haven't looked hard enuff, I guess.