Mowing DK-35 Flail Mower Size

/ DK-35 Flail Mower Size #1  

kruszert

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kioti DK 35
There is a 7' woods flail mower for sale locally and I am wondering if my DK-35has enough horsepower to run this size mower. I think I have around 30hp at the PTO.

Reggie

/ DK-35 Flail Mower Size #2  
I'd get the 7footer if the price is right. I run a 75 inch flail on my DK40se which only has a couple or three more PTO HP than the DK35 and have no issue at all with power to spare. I rarely run at full PTO speed. I'd run a 7 footer if Caroni made one.

Of course the bigger question is what you are going to cut. You may need to go slowly if you are bush hogging brush or if you are doing a once a year cut in a pasture but for regular mowing it should be fine.

/ DK-35 Flail Mower Size
Thought I already posted a reply but it didn't show up - - - probably pushed the wrong button so I'll try again.

Thanks for the response. For my needs the 7foot flail sounds like it will work fine. Problem is I googled Woods and seems like they didn't make one that small. Called the number in the paper, talked to someone who was not the seller and was told that it was a Bush-Hog brand flail mower - - - can't find one of those either. It is "7' wide", "in great shape" and they want $1100 but no telling what they have for sale! If the seller calls back maybe I will find out!

/ DK-35 Flail Mower Size #4  
If the "Woods" doesn't pan out, I can recommend the Caroni TM1900 as a perfect match for a DK.

/ DK-35 Flail Mower Size #5  
I'll just add that you must be aware of how much horsepower your tractor is using for propulsion to get an idea of how much is left over to run the PTO . The hp figures a manufacturer quotes is from a stationary tractor in neutral hooked up to a Dynomometer running under ideal conditions . A tractor say , driving in soft ground , in thick grass or working up hill will use a large amount of the engines hp to sustain forward motion especialy with the added drag of a 7' wide implement being dragged through the grass (before even thinking of cutting and mulching). What you have left over is a big ?

/ DK-35 Flail Mower Size #6  
If its local, I would go see it. Not to sound the 'suspicious' alarm on your purchase, however if I received what you posted and was still interested I would go take a look in person and be sure to grab the serial number and have it checked out before I purchased.

Just make sure you dont come off insulting or acting like you think something is wrong as its possible that the deal is on the level and that nothing is wrong and the last thing you would want to do is ruin someones day.

In the end, at least you will be able to get most of your questions answered.

Good luck, sorry I was not able to give the answer you originally looking for, I just wanted to make sure your not being taken for a ride.

/ DK-35 Flail Mower Size #7  
1100 sounds like a lot but i guess that depends on lots of things...

i've been watching them on craigslist and ebay for 500 and less....most of them are the tough alamo/mott, etc.....these are commercial units and a built.........parts are available from flailmaster.com for about any of the big names...

/ DK-35 Flail Mower Size
After leaving a couple of messages and giving up on hearing back I did get a call back on the mower. It is a 6' mower which is what I really wanted for my tractor and is labelled "Bush Hog". My tractor should have no problem with this. Price ended up at $1000. The Caroni was my choice for a new one but this is in good shape and about 1/2 the price. I looked up parts on the Bush Hog website and they do have parts for flail mowers - - they just don't sell them anymore I guess.

Thanks for all the responses,

Reggie

/ DK-35 Flail Mower Size #9  
Sounds like a good deal. I'd trust just about anything with the BushHog name on it. $1000 is a great price if the mower requires only basic tuning etc.