DK 40SE hydraulic pump noise

/ DK 40SE hydraulic pump noise #1  

randot

Bronze Member
Tractor
DK 40SE
Right after completing the 50 service I started getting lots of hydraulic pump noise. Used the Shell Rotella heavy duty tractor fluid and topped off to the middle of the dipstick. Now at 65 hours the pump makes a loaded noise when the tractor idles when warm until you move the loader at least an inch then the noise goes away until the pressure builds up again. Sometimes there is no noise, but the engine seems to load a little then the tractor will rock a little bit and returns to normal idle. Discussed it with the dealer and it seems as if a relief valve is sticking. Long drive to the nearest dealer and wondering if anyone else has experience these issues. Thank you upfront for any insights!

/ DK 40SE hydraulic pump noise #2  
Make sure the remote hydraulic lever is in the neutral position (centered)

BTI

/ DK 40SE hydraulic pump noise
I have had that happen, but it is definitely centered. Found a few other older posts for CK30 and DK55 with similar issues, but not resolved. My concern is this my second Kioti, the first one had the hydrostatic unit go out, so I upgraded. One post suggested that when heavier implements are elevated on the 3 point, that the system is using pressure to maintain it. I will be checking that today when i change out implements.

/ DK 40SE hydraulic pump noise #4  
Does it do the same if you bump up the 3 pt? (act fine until pressure builds).
The 3pt is held up basically by the valve being closed.
It only uses the pump pressure to raise it to position then the valve holds it there.
If it happens to bleed off it will bump it back up to position then hold until it bleeds off again.
It's most noticeable when you raise an implement, leave it up, turn the tractor off then let it sit awhile.
If it sits awhile then you start it, it will reset to height.

BTI

Tried it yesterday without an impliment on the 3 pt and the pump wine was much less noticable. Added the box blade and it was there but not the same as when the brush hog was on there. The noise does go away when you bump the 3 pt lever just as when you move the loader control. I let it sit with the box blade elevated and there seemed to be no bleed off after an hour. It is just strange the pump noise and this bahanior became noticable after the service. thank you for the info!

Problem solved. I had used the Rotella universal tractor hydraulic fluid and it apparently is not meant for the DK 40 HST. I changed the hydraulic oil and filters again at 85 hours to replace the rotella with the recommended fluid (Shell Donax TD) from the manual and now no issues with noise, or jerky operation.

/ DK 40SE hydraulic pump noise #7  
Problem solved. I had used the Rotella universal tractor hydraulic fluid and it apparently is not meant for the DK 40 HST. I changed the hydraulic oil and filters again at 85 hours to replace the rotella with the recommended fluid (Shell Donax TD) from the manual and now no issues with noise, or jerky operation.

From your best guess, did the Rotella utv oil seem like a heavier weight oil than the Shell. I was able to find the Shell oil when I did my service and the salesman advised it's a lighter 10W20 weight oil. Some other oils can be 30 or 40 weight. Not all utv oils are similar in weight even though they are supposed to be "universal". Maybe universal means for gears, hyd systems, and brakes and you have to keep an eye on the proper weight.
Glad your fix wasn't anything major.

The Rotella did seem heavier weight than the Donax and I assume that was the problem. On either package I have not seen a viscosity just the listing of compatible equipment. That seemed what the issue was when the tractor would idle when warm, it acted as if it had a sticky relief valve as the idle speed would slowly go lower then suddenly bump back to normal. I will replace the oil in the front axle next. The guys at Shell distributorship said they had seen this problem before and they do not even stock the Rotella hydraulic oils.