DK40se HST stuck in 4wd

/ DK40se HST stuck in 4wd #1  

southerniltractor

Silver Member
Tractor
Kioti DK40se HST with FEL, Simplicity Landlord, JD130
Howdy folks,

After just 21 hours, my tractor is stuck in 4wd.

It has started "clicking" in the front end when making a very sharp turn when it never did that before. Turns out while my 4wd button is in 2wd, the solonoid is not working, so I'm stuck in 4wd. Spoke with a very helpful service manager at my dealer and he walked me thru troubleshooting. First, he had me push my FEL into a dirt pile and see if the front wheels are pulling; they are. Then, checked all the wires and all are connected. Now to bring the tractor back in for a new solonoid to be installed.

Annoying as I'm 130 miles from my dealer, but at least this is a warrenty issue. Otherwise, the tractor has been great.

Anyone have a similar problem to this? If so, how did you fix it?

Thanks,
Mike

/ DK40se HST stuck in 4wd #2  
No, no problems there and I use 4wd daily. That clicking should not be there...mine never does that. Make sure they take a look at the front axle & find out what is causing that noise.

/ DK40se HST stuck in 4wd
Thanks M7. I'm thinking this thing has been in 4wd for a while now. There is no way to tell other than the light on/off from that switch. I recently ran this thing on the road about 2 miles (and back) to a friends to grade his lane road...probably the whole way in 4wd. Hope the front axle is not jacked. It only makes that noise when I first start the tractor cold and execute a sharp turn. Told the dealer about that noise and said there shouldn't be any noise from that axle as it's all gears, not like a CV joint. Will continue to monitor and ensure they eyeball that axle when I take the tractor in.

Will keep you posted.
Mike

/ DK40se HST stuck in 4wd #4  
The noise in front axle and staying in FWD are likely 2 different problems so you should get it to the dealer ASAP. The FWD engagement is done back in the transmission, there is a hydraulic piston that slides a gear into mesh with the FWD output shaft when you turn it on. When off the solenoid has no voltage, the valve pin in the solenoid stem is supposed to spring back to dump hydraulic pressure to tank and a spring at the gear pushes gear back to unmesh from the output shaft. If you wanted to verify it is in the solenoid you could exchange it with the PTO solenoid, there are both identical and interchange. These are located on Right side of transmission between the FEL valve and the hydraulic filter.

/ DK40se HST stuck in 4wd
Very helpful post Dennis. Thanks much. I'm very concerned with the clicking noise. Makes me sick to hear it. It sounds just like a CV joint that has a bad boot/and going out. Those I can fix! Only does it when cold and making sharp turn to right or left. Does both backward and forward direction. Once it's a bit warm, sound goes away. You can even "feel" the clicking in the tractor.

I purchased this tractor from a very reputable dealer - even went farther from home than needed to just to do business with him. I don't have a trailer, nor do I have a large enough truck, but I've got good neighbors who have offered to lend me said items.

Am tempted to run until the noise is more consistent...hate taking stuff in an having "could not duplicate" on the service order. Thoughts?

Thanks,
Mike