DK4510 cold weather start issue

/ DK4510 cold weather start issue #1  

bseagraves

Tractor
Kioti DK4510
Hi, I have a 3 1/2 year old Kioti DK2510 with about 120 hrs and been having cold weather starting issues for about a year. I used the tractor all summer and no problems, but now that the temp dropped below 25 deg and the symptoms are back.
Symptom: When attempting to crank, get only "click, click, click, ..." of solenoid. Once in about 10 attempts it may crank for a couple seconds, then reverts to clicking only. LCD cluster display does show "C 011" when it momentarily cranks. I have the shop manual, but I'm not up to speed on codes and haven't been able to decode this yet.

What I have done: Replaced battery, cleaned battery terminals and checked ground frame connection.

Just wondering if anyone has had similar experiences and was able diagnose, thanks!

/ DK4510 cold weather start issue #2  
Your solenoid may be defective or it may not be getting enough power to close completely. Check the voltage going to the solenoid when you try to start. It should be getting between eleven and twelve volts. If it's getting full voltage you may have a weak solenoid. If it's not getting adequate power you may need to power it from a relay activated by the starter switch.

/ DK4510 cold weather start issue #3  
I think we should start with the code first? What does C 011 mean?

/ DK4510 cold weather start issue #4  
I think we should start with the code first? What does C 011 mean?
My understanding is the computer decides whether or not to send power to the starter solenoid based on safety switches etc. Since it is sending power to the solenoid as evidenced by the clicking/intermittent cranking, IMO checking the solenoid may be an appropriate next step.

At a guess without additional info the c011 may be the computer telling you that it is not sensing the motor turning when sending power to the solenoid, especially as it appears to be a momentary notification code while cranking and not a retained dtc/cel per the verbiage in the op. A call to a dealer service department can find out for sure

/ DK4510 cold weather start issue #5  
I have a CX2510 doing almost the same. It started out that way but now it clicks at a high frequency as the motor is trying to turn about a degree each click. I brought the starter to a shop and he reported it checked out fine.
If I get it figured out I will report back here. I’ve seen post where people said they ha faulty safety switch’s go bad??

/ DK4510 cold weather start issue #6  
Faulty safety switches wouldn’t let anything happen….nothing. Does the tractor have any warranty remaining? How old is your tractor/battery, have the battery load tested, check/clean ground cable at battery and frame. Buy some relays and switch them out one by one…my guess is on a relay if battery checks out good. Report back…😉

/ DK4510 cold weather start issue
Thanks to everyone who responded. It turned out to be a new starter that solved this issue. My theory is that the bearings went bad (hunch is the solenoid was not retracting the starter gear and sometimes it would stay engaged even as the engine was running, I was troubleshooting an intermittent howling bearing kind of sound over the last year, so that was maybe it). In any case, it couldn't produce the needed torque and was trying to draw a crazy amount of current. I think the clicking was the system trying to limit the current to prevent damage to components perhaps.
In any case, a new starter for $91 is pretty painless:)

/ DK4510 cold weather start issue #8  
$91 for a starter? Those usually run like $800 or so. Wouldnt warranty cover it still?
mine had a 5 year warranty, full coverage

Last edited:
   / DK4510 cold weather start issue #9  
$91 for a starter? Those usually run like $800 or so. Wouldnt warranty cover it still?
mine had a 5 year warranty, full coverage
$91 sounds about right for a new/reman starter.

Unless the starter is buried inside the block, it should be a fairly straight-forward R&R. Maybe some shims. Maybe not.

I'd find a new mechanic :)

/ DK4510 cold weather start issue #10  
$91 sounds about right for a new/reman starter.

Unless the starter is buried inside the block, it should be a fairly straight-forward R&R. Maybe some shims. Maybe not.

I'd find a new mechanic :)
I got a new gear reduction starter for my DK 35 a couple years back for $180 (local alternator/starter shop)