DK4510MS Just completed 50 hour Service

/ DK4510MS Just completed 50 hour Service #1  

IndyJay

Veteran Member
Tractor
2021 Kioti DK4510MS w/Loader, Grapple Prev: Massey 1250
I just completed the 50 hour service on my DK4510 Manual Shuttle and thought I'd share a few thoughts for others that recently bought this tractor.

First off, the FEL frame and draw bar do not leave much room to get under the tractor, even on a creeper. It is tight but doable.

I bought a small, inexpensive battery operated pump from HF to transfer the Hydro/Trans oil with mixed results.
It worked okay but pumped much slower than advertised and shown on YouTube, probably due to viscosity.
See related TBN post here: Oil & Fuel - hyd. filter change

I used WIX filters purchased from local Kioti dealer: #51381 - Oil Filter, #WL10113 - Hydr Filter
Was originally going to reuse hydro fluid but didn't like the way it looked so I replaced with TSC Travellers 590901 Premium Universal Fluid

Oil drain plugs 17mm; oil filter wasn't as bad as I had expected. It was tight but easily loosened with a metal strap wrench.
Hydro drain plugs 30mm (or in my case 1-3/16"); tried metal strap wrench from TSC, it folded; tried rubber strap wrench from O'Reillys, it slipped.
Finally went with the Channel Lock 215 filter wrench that I already had but was afraid would crush the filter. Worked like a charm, did not mangle the filter.
1627930891952.png

I had considered the vacuum cleaner trick or some other way to reuse the oil, but it was worth $39.99 x2 plus the 2 gal pail of oil for peace of mind.
Overall, uneventful, few surprises. The manual says 1.95 gals oil capacity, 2 gals put it about half inch above full mark. (.05 gal is only ~ 6oz)
The oil fill cap is pretty cramped to get to. Figure next time I'll coordinate that with the fuel filter swap so there is more room.

Attachments

• 20210801_151354.jpg
    20210801_151354.jpg
    393.5 KB · Views: 91
  • 20210801_170213.jpg
    20210801_170213.jpg
    277.4 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
   / DK4510MS Just completed 50 hour Service #2  
Thanks for the writeup. Next time I do my transmission oil, I think I will just replace it all, and not mess with trying to switch filters quickly.

/ DK4510MS Just completed 50 hour Service #3  
The HF pump that's a far better, more durable, albeit pricier, etc., etc. choice is the one even some FT excavation folks now use to move diesel fuel & oils. I caught a deal after reading on another forum how some sawmill operators were using it to good effect. It's called a "12v diesel transfer pump" and listed @ $130-mine cost like $89 two years back on a special price deal. You get a decent fuel delivery nozzle (looks & works like a real nozzle!), hose and wires. I added a heavier, fused wire gauge to my battery tender that dangles from my battery up front with an SAE connector and plastic pipes to suction my 5 gal fuel source. Takes maybe 30 seconds and zero lifting of the fuel jug up high ever again. It's one of the better HF products I've seen! Read the 800 or 900 reviews-it will suck out a 55 gallon drum in like 6 minutes.
I only use mine to re-fuel.
Next challenge is how to not have to lift the sawmill 7 gallon lube water jug up even higher than my tractors fuel cap?
Honestly after a couple days back to using my DK35SE I cannot decide if more money on a newer tractor is my best plan? Mine's got lots of shine and does some serious work.

/ DK4510MS Just completed 50 hour Service
The HF pump that's a far better, more durable, albeit pricier, etc., etc. choice is the one even some FT excavation folks now use to move diesel fuel & oils. I caught a deal after reading on another forum how some sawmill operators were using it to good effect. It's called a "12v diesel transfer pump" and listed @ $130-mine cost like $89 two years back on a special price deal. You get a decent fuel delivery nozzle (looks & works like a real nozzle!), hose and wires. I added a heavier, fused wire gauge to my battery tender that dangles from my battery up front with an SAE connector and plastic pipes to suction my 5 gal fuel source. Takes maybe 30 seconds and zero lifting of the fuel jug up high ever again. It's one of the better HF products I've seen! Read the 800 or 900 reviews-it will suck out a 55 gallon drum in like 6 minutes.
I only use mine to re-fuel.
Next challenge is how to not have to lift the sawmill 7 gallon lube water jug up even higher than my tractors fuel cap?
Honestly after a couple days back to using my DK35SE I cannot decide if more money on a newer tractor is my best plan? Mine's got lots of shine and does some serious work.
That pump sounds nice but I have a regular fuel tank for fueling the tractor. The little battery pump was just to see how it would work for hydro/trans fluid. It worked okay but was slow. I think it might be fine for deisel fuel or gasoline. The videos seemed to show that. This being my only tractor, I will not be changing out the hydro/trans fluid often enough to spend $130 on a pump, however when I bought the little D-cell pump I bought a different one as plan B, it is a 12v pump for under $50 that I will try next time. I figure a set of washing machine hoses with one end cut off ought to work similar to how I used the battery operated one.

/ DK4510MS Just completed 50 hour Service #5  
Most consumer pumps are either water, oil/kerosene or diesel fuel and highly unsafe for gasoline. There is one line mfg and sold I've seen on Amazon that consists of a regular gasoline fuel pump as sold and used on road vehicles. It's mtd in a pelican style plastic case with a sparkproof switch and tubing so it ready for emergency road uses such as AAA stuff.
I actually bought such a pump on Amazon as a warehouse return deal cheaply to make my own set=up using a spare plastic tool case that latches. The pump, wiring and switches need to be properly arranged so that it's gasoline safe. My use would be for my sawmill engine to not have to lift 5 gallons up high.
The tractor use I have is a huge improvement over me lifting those jugs up onto the hood top pour but I can't justify a bigger container for diesel bulk purchase. I might use 10-15 gallons a month at most in non-icy months.