Do All Their Engines Rattle?

/ Do All Their Engines Rattle? #1  

Username Taken

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kioti CX2510 HST
What do you think it is? Piston slap?

I just watched a video and the engine sounded kinda rough. You can't tell in a video but it made me want to open the hood and look for loose shields or something.

Then I read in the remarks that they all rattle like that, even the Kioti. If that is so, is it piston slap? That's a llot of piston slap if it is.

/ Do All Their Engines Rattle? #2  
edit:

We have a Bobcat T250 in the family and it is smooth and quiet- It has a few thousand hour kubota in it another Bobcat in the family a 70 HP mini excavator was a rental machine before bought at auction-but actually built by komatsu also smooth with over 5000 hours on the engine and virtually no low speed or idle knock.

I thought you were asking about their Bobcat (skid steers) Sorry

After watching the video

yeah the new Kioti (Daedong) powered Bobcat tractor sounds like the ones we test drove last year at the Kioti dealer

Last edited:
   / Do All Their Engines Rattle?
The engines in the new Bob Tractors are Daedong, same as Kioti. It sounded pretty ratty when he started it. Commenters were saying it was normal.

If that's normal......... I don't know what to think. I'm wondering if it isn't some of the Loader Stand slapping around a little bit. I could live with that, I'd just tie it off or bungee cord it. If it's piston slap...... Not so sure.

/ Do All Their Engines Rattle? #4  
Would you care to share the video with us so we can have a better idea of the sound/rattle in question?

/ Do All Their Engines Rattle?
"That engine clatter is typical for the small Daedong engines (at least the ones i've owned) . Not sure why. Seems to quiet down a little when warm but not much. Didnt seem to hurt engine life of mine but sure was hard on the ears. Always made me wonder. Owned a 30 hp and a 35 hp and both sounded just like the one in this video."

From the comments section.

/ Do All Their Engines Rattle? #7  
Sounds normal to me on a cold diesel engine, however the mic does pick a lot of the noise and makes it sound worse.

Mine does it too but not that much, although I don't really go past 1500 RPMs without the temp gauge start climbing, but mine is a gear tractor, so it doesn't need all the RPMs in the world to keep the HST happy. It goes away once the engine gets up to temp.

/ Do All Their Engines Rattle? #8  
Mine doesn't rattle, knock or click or anything like that.

/ Do All Their Engines Rattle? #9  
My ROPS pins rattle louder than the engine! Haven't bothered to shim them tight yet. Engine really only rattles for a few seconds after startup when cold.

/ Do All Their Engines Rattle? #10  
Mine doesn't sound like that in person. Pretty quite to tell the truth. 35hp though.