Do I need a check valve on hyd angle?

/ Do I need a check valve on hyd angle? #1  

Rbooe05

Tractor
Case 55A
Hey all, I'm adding hydraulic angle to my 7ft grader blade. Pulling with a new 60hp tractor and I want to protect the tractors hydraulic system so I ordered a double pilot operated check to put in before the cylinder. Am I thinking correctly that this should prevent shock to the tractors hydraulics when I snag something that doesn't want to move!?

/ Do I need a check valve on hyd angle? #2  
No, what you need is a cushion valve, aka crossover relief valve. But it doesn’t work very well with a single double acting hyd cylinder unless the cyl has a double rod.
A pilot operated check valve is used primarily for work holding when a hose blows.

/ Do I need a check valve on hyd angle?
Ahhh that makes sense why I have one on my top link! As I already spent 100 bucks on this check valve, is there a benefit to having it or should I throw it on ebay? Thanks a ton for the quick response!

/ Do I need a check valve on hyd angle? #4  
They are used for top links in case of valve spool internal leakage.
Using that pilot operated check valve will do you no benefit in this application.

/ Do I need a check valve on hyd angle? #5  
Very interested in this topic also.

So for a single-rod...double-acting cylinder...is there a safety valve (or design) that would protect the tractor hydraulics?

/ Do I need a check valve on hyd angle? #6  
Look up the crossover relief valve already mentioned. It will just let the cylinder move if something pushes on it hard enough that it would have broken something if it didn't move.

Technically there are hydraulic accumulators but not near as much DIY support for those devices in general.

/ Do I need a check valve on hyd angle? #7  
Very interested in this topic also.

So for a single-rod...double-acting cylinder...is there a safety valve (or design) that would protect the tractor hydraulics?

Sometimes referred as a cushion valve or double relief. Often adjustable relief pressure.

I think people would be surprised to see the dynamic pressure generated on loader and 3pt attachment cylinders. I monitor loader pressure with a 10,000psi digital gauge on the loader lift circuit. Can get near 6,000psi. Try to keep it much below that. Grapple, top link, and swing cylinders can see high pressures from external forces. Some equipment are made to handle the dynamic loading better than others.

/ Do I need a check valve on hyd angle? #8  
In my work crossover relief settings on elec plow pumps (Meyers, Western, Fisher ect) are set at 3000psi. Main system relief only needs 16-1700 psi to do lift and angle functions

/ Do I need a check valve on hyd angle? #9  
Could put a relief valve in each of the two lines going to a cylinder but would involve some plumbing to get the relief side of the valves back to a drain connection but a cushion (crossover relief) valve also involves additional plumbing.

Just an example:

The questions at the bottom of the listing are good information.

Last edited: