Do I need tire chains for upcoming winter?

/ Do I need tire chains for upcoming winter?
Thanks for eveyones input. I went to tirechains.com and now I am attempting to decide on which style of chain I need. I don't think I will use the chains a lot, so would the standard Ladder chain work ($121) or should I get the Ladder chain with V-bars ($164).

/ Do I need tire chains for upcoming winter? #12  
Todd
For R-4s and R-1s I would recommend DUO-GRIP TRACTOR TIRE CHAINS from TireChains.com.

They don't offer the duogrip chain for my R4 tire size (15-19.5).

/ Do I need tire chains for upcoming winter? #14  
Todd
If spending over $200 is not a problem then go with the 2-Link Spacing Ladder. This will give a smoother ride. The V-bar type chains will mark concrete and blacktop worse than just plain ladder.

/ Do I need tire chains for upcoming winter? #15  
If you have a slope to climb, you'll likely need chains.

I have a Gravely on which I've used chains on 2 single turfs, dual turf without chains and now dual ag tires with studs. Haven't had much opportunity to use the dual ag tires with studs yet. Definitely have to use the chains for pushing the snow thrower or for pushing the snow plow in sloppy conditions if I want a full width (4') bite.

I did hang up a chain on one wheel because I didn't secure some excess chain and broke a link. After that, I used it with the dual turfs and took small bites with the snow plow. Didn't get a chance to use the new ag tires with studs last winter.

For this first winter with my JD 4010, it's parked in the basement of the carriage house, down slope from my driveway. The Gravely with plow and dual ag tires with the studs is in the carriage house at driveway level. NO WAY without chains would IT go up and down that slope to the basement area. Remains to be seen whether I'll need the JD and its loader and whether I can get it up the slope without chains.

Ralph

I hate to accept the facts, but I should go ahead and spend the money. I drove my ATV out of the drive last year after an ice storm and immediately did a 360. It was fun after the ride was over. My house and drive in front of my house is on level ground, but the trip to my house is up a constant grade. I don't want to take a chance on the tractor. I would hate to slide off the edge of the road to my house while plowing snow.

/ Do I need tire chains for upcoming winter? #17  
I had chains with turfs on a Deere 318 GT. Worked great. On the new kubota 2230 I bought chains also. I am in Kansas city and we get reasonable snow but not like the Northeast. however, I need turfs due to thin grass and the need to maintain my turf... however, my storage area and wood pyles are in the woods at the bottom of a steep incline. I would never make it up with a full load and no chains.

I ordered them and got them on Tuesday. Wed morning we got 6 wet heavy inches of snow. i did not put the chains on so I could see how the turfs do with 4x4 only. Well it pushed and pulled now fine but I did need the 4x4 and got stuck on a slight incline that was packed snow. Had to go forward throught he grass in order to get out.

I am glad I got the chains as they will come in handy for winder and any heavy BB or Loader work.

/ Do I need tire chains for upcoming winter? #18  
Charlottesville, VA, USA
does it snow in this area ??/
/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Do I need tire chains for upcoming winter? #19  
Some people advocate chains on the front for better control if you are 4wd. Would this suffice instead of the rear? Also, might be less expensive since they are smaller.

/ Do I need tire chains for upcoming winter? #20  
If you're going to chain up a single axle, make it the rear. Chains on the front only, will do nothing for braking and will put undue stress on the front end.