Do I pay sales tax to out of state dealer?

/ Do I pay sales tax to out of state dealer? #21  
Do you mean that because I'm primarily a Florida resident, I should be able to escape sales tax in NC for the things I buy there, take possession of there, and use there, and never bring back to Florida? Don't think so.

Also, as far as business exemptions are concerned, that is only for things which are legitimately for resale, and for which you will collect the sales tax when you sell it. Anything you buy for your own use, whether personally or for the business, you must pay the tax when you buy it, or you must pay the tax when you remove it from your inventory for use.

Example - I was/am in the bbq grill business (the confusion is because I'm temporarily retired; have to wait until my property is developed to see whether retirement will "stick" or whether I will get bored and start using my expertise again). I buy a pallet load of lump charcoal for resale. I use my exemption and pay no sales tax when I buy it. Each time I sell a bag, I collect the sales tax and remit it to the state. However, I withdraw a bag from inventory and use it for a cooking demonstration. What I have to do is "sell" it to myself, and pay the tax. I can sell it to myself for my cost, and pay just the tax on that, because the state has no say in the price I charge. But, I have to pay something, and the legitimate amount is on the price I paid for the product.

And, in my day to day business, I did just that, for several reasons. First, turning it into a "sale" to myself removed the item from my inventory, decreased the dollar amount of my inventory, and increased the dollar amount of my advertising expense. My books are straight. Second, if (and most likely when) I am audited by the Dept. of Revenue, I don't have to account for the missing bag of charcoal - or whatever else I used. Without this accounting, the Dept of Revenue could accuse me of making a cash sale and pocketing the sales tax amount, in effect stealing from the state, and I wouldn't be able to prove that I didn't. They throw folks in jail for that.

Sure, in the example I gave above, I could probably get away with a little bit like occasional bags of charcoal. I could claim it got wet and I threw it out (but I accounted for things like that, also, in order to write off the loss); I could claim it was shoplifted; I could claim mysterious disappearance. But, if the amounts come to any sizeable total, I would be in trouble two ways - my books wouldn't be an accurate reflection of my business, and I could be in serious trouble with the "revenooers".

The one way to take stuff out of resale inventory and not pay tax on it is to give it away. Items thrown in as an incentive to purchase, items given to charity for door prizes, etc. But, we still ran them through the register as a no-charge in order to remove them from the inventory and apply the cost as an expense of the sale or as a donation.

Before anyone says I am/was too **** about this, I should tell you that one of my best employees was a former business owner who spent 8 months of a 2 year sentence in jail, 3 months on work release with me, and the rest of his life (he passed away last July, a broken - and broke - man) on probation until he finished the impossible task of making restitution for the sales tax "finagles" he had done improperly. Not a penny of this went into his pockets, all of it went to pay the costs of his business, which was not doing well, and he always intended to "catch up" some day. But, the Dept. of Revenue properly determined that they did not have the role of making business "investments". He ended up being my most scrupulous employee because he had truly "learned his lesson", and I was fortunate to learn vicariously from him.

Sooner or later the loopholes in interstate sales are going to be closed, and I will applaud the day they are, because internet sales have an automatic 10% to 20% (depending on the local tax rate) advantage over the traditional "bricks and mortar" retailer, who absorbs the cost of incoming freight and must charge the sales tax -- and that's not counting the overhead differences.

Until then, and because my Momma didn't raise any fools, if and when I get back into business it will be primarily through internet sales...little overhead, little to no inventory carrying costs, no sales tax, the buyer pays the freight, and no service after the sale. You put money in your pocket for selling a product you never see (drop shipped from the distributor) to a customer you never meet.

Sorry for wandering a bit off the topic, but one thing led to another...

/ Do I pay sales tax to out of state dealer? #22  
Don, that's a very good, and accurate, description of how the system works. I'm reasonably sure if we didn't have the sales tax, we'd have some other tax to compensate for it, but like the income tax laws, in my opinion, the sales tax laws have been made too complex and too complicated. At least in my state, there's no sales tax on tools and equipment bought for farm use, but if you're in any other kind of business, you have to pay the sales tax on the stuff you use in your business. In my state, we have a state sales tax, then the cities can tack on a little more, then transportation authorities can tack on a little more, so the sales tax isn't always the same everywhere you go. When my brother was running the tool truck, primarily selling to professional mechanics in three counties, he had to have his computer set up for eight different sales tax (jurisdictions?), remit payments and documentation quarterly, etc.

/ Do I pay sales tax to out of state dealer? #23  
You forget one thing Don. If your state doesn't have sales tax then you have nothing to worry about. We own a sizeable ranch in Oregon and another one in Montana. Our corporation is based out of the these two states. Therefore everything we buy whether it is in New York or California goes through the corporation to the businesses for one thing or another. Being that these states don't charge income tax I have nothing to worry about. Secondly just about everything I buy goes toward the ranches or my business. Since I am in the business of getting paid from my final end product I can use the products in my business COMPLETELY legal with no tax consequences. You can also buy things legally and with no tax consequences if you are using them in your business to make a product that you will sell for profit. The tax is put on at the end when you sell the product.

I certainly owe no tax liability to any state that I don't live in. That's what a state sales tax is for is to benefit the citizens of that state. We as citizens and esp. small businesses are already grossly overtaxed. Finding the loopholes is certainly not criminal.

Your example cites buying product in mass and then ACTUALLY charging the sales tax and illegally keeping the money. What I'm talking about is not going to another state and buying a hundred thousand worth of inventory and then selling that inventory to the public and charging sales tax on it.

I live right on the river between two states. The one state has much better deals on appliances than the state that I live in. If I buy a freezer and then use it in my office for two years. I can legally go buy a new freezer use it in my office for a period of time and then buy it from the corporation for my personal use. Even if I was in a state with sales tax issues there is no sales tax because it was a used item and selling appliances is not my business.

I certainly am not advocating people use the id #'s to illegally charge sales tax. What I'm talking about is getting a product in another state for which you owe no sales tax and then paying what you owe, if any, in your own state.

/ Do I pay sales tax to out of state dealer? #24  
cowboydoc, the one thing I understand for sure is that the system of sales taxes we currently have is so confusing and so different from one state to another, and even from one community to another in the same state, that consulting companies have sprung up to guide companies through the morass. For companies that have operations in all or most states, like Sears, and who also have internet and catalog sales, there are companies who (for a fee) will take electronic records of sales and process all the sales taxes owed to all the jurisdictions involved.

The second thing I understand is that the alternative, a national sales tax, would probably be even worse, because several politicians are pushing for a VAT (value added tax) like in Europe. From my understanding, this would acomplish precisely two things - raise the amount of revenues to ridiculous heights and bury the amounts so deep that the public would never understand what they are paying, both absolutely lovely concepts for politicians.

Bringing all this back into the realm of buying a tractor, I think it's obvious that anyone who is the least bit unsure of what is involved with the statutes covering his purchase should consider spending a few minutes to research the rules and be certain they are being applied properly in his case. Even if the amounts involved do not justify the time, it's distinctly American to make sure we are not getting screwed.

/ Do I pay sales tax to out of state dealer? #25  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Even if the amounts involved do not justify the time, it's distinctly American to make sure we are not getting screwed. )</font>

It is called almsmanship, a term I first came across years ago in a tax article in--of all things--Playboy.

Almsmanship = the art of paying the Absolute Legal Minimum in taxes. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

SnowRidge

/ Do I pay sales tax to out of state dealer? #26  
Almsmanship is sure my philosophy!!! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Do I pay sales tax to out of state dealer? #27  
I bought a tractor from a dealer in WI and had it picked up and shipped to NC...I paid no sales tax. I would be careful with this dealer sounds like he is trying to "get the squeal out of the pig" .

/ Do I pay sales tax to out of state dealer? #28  
I think he bought it long ago...original post in 2003!

/ Do I pay sales tax to out of state dealer? #29  
The OP (original poster)... Deliberate1

Last Activity: 01-23-2005 09:47 PM

/ Do I pay sales tax to out of state dealer? #30  
People must be bored today replying to old posts....:laughing: