Backhoe Do I really need a Backhoe on my CUT???

/ Do I really need a Backhoe on my CUT??? #1  

jgrreed

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD 4720
Hi All,

Will some of you with experience give me your opinion on whether or not a BH for my JD 4720 (58hp) is worth the cost. I have 10.5 acres I have some jobs to do (landscaping, trenching, etc), but once they're done I fear she'll become a 12000$ (I'm in Canada, I was quoted 12300 today for a JD 448!!) paperweight.

Do those of you that have them use them fairly consistently?? My other thought is that I can rent a minihoe for 200-300$ per day when I need one.

I would love one to have "just-in-case", but 12K!!! Holy Crap!!

Thanks,

-J.

/ Do I really need a Backhoe on my CUT??? #2  
Ok, at 300 you can rent one 40 times before it has paid for it self.

KC

/ Do I really need a Backhoe on my CUT??? #3  
Woulds there be a market for just the hoe after you have finished with it.:)

You may also consider that having the hoe on hand will allow you versatile equipment availability that you do not have with rental equipment.:D

/ Do I really need a Backhoe on my CUT??? #4  
I think the Deere 448 hoe is in fact the Amerequip 8600 with an authentic green paint job.
If so, price it again at a Montana or Branson dealer, then get a couple of cans of equally authentic Deere touch up paint.

Anyhow, it CAN BE such a useful tool to just have around for those little jobs that you probably don't think are worth renting a hoe for, but if you HAVE IT you'll USE IT.
e.g. I probably wouldn't rent a mini-ex to just dig out a small stump, I'd futz with the bucket or box blade ripper, or mattock, axe, whatever, or just not do it.
With a hoe that be put on in 10 minutes it is an under 1 hour project.
Yes, it probably has re-sale value, but once you have it you will most likely want to keep it.

/ Do I really need a Backhoe on my CUT??? #5  
The word 'need' is the tough part of your question. Sound financial wisdom vs 'he who dies with the most toys wins'. My choice is 'toys' but we all have to make such a decision ourselves. I eventually bought a tired old 3pt BH and love it.

If you want to save money but still 'feel' that you 'might' really need a backhoe, shop around for alternatives that might save a few thousand.

If sound justification is the issue but finances are not an issue, buy the darn thing and don't look back.

If you really need to sell yourself on the merit of such a purchase and want to save money, go the rental route a few times. That might help you make up your mind.

I have about 12+ acres myself. The tractor was originally justified for snow moving, tending to the horse mess, and helping to convert overgrown pastures back to horse pastures.

I needed several french drains put in and I had zillions of stumps to clear. For those two projects I gladly paid for a massive excavator to come in and do the work over two full days. Several years later the drains work well ,the stumps are in several large piles and the fields are back to growing grass rather than mud. That work was under 2Kand the ground was so soft on the drain project that I never could have done it with my tractor.

The old BH came after these projects and I use it to save my back from hand shovel projects. It works well for laying wiring,plumbing projects, driveway drains, the pet cemetery, moving boulders that grow out of our yard every spring (before the lawn mover needs a new blade), etc etc. I only paid 3.5K for the old BH.

To me, having the BH is like having a shovel. For every time I want to grab a shovel, if I had to go rent it I would probably just not bother. I can strap the BH on in like 10 minute and be tearing up the yard before my dear wife knows what I am up to!!! :) [priceless]

Good luck and if you get one I think you will find it was 'worth it' at some level...

/ Do I really need a Backhoe on my CUT??? #6  
I purchased my backhoe with the tractor and loader so it was probably a little less than if I bought it afterwards. I have used my to put culverts in across creeks, remove rocks, remove stumps and remove push over trees. It is great tool. The land is about 120 acres and lots of opportunities to remove stumps, rocks and trees so I felt pretty good about my need compared to rental. I eventually plan to build a house on the land and will attempt to excavate the foundation with the hoe.
You may want to rent a unit to do some of your chores then judge after a couple of weekends of rental. It will take seat time to get comfortable with the joy sticks but you will pick up on the operation quickly.
As posted if money to not a big issue consider it a Christmas gift to your self! HOE HOE HOE!

/ Do I really need a Backhoe on my CUT??? #7  
Hi All,

1* I was quoted 12300 today for a JD 448!!)I would love one to have "just-in-case", but 12K!!! Holy Crap!!
-J.
If you want to save money but still 'feel' that you 'might' really need a backhoe,
2*shop around for alternatives that might save a few thousand.
1*You could buy a nice used MF gc2310 for that and you would have the BH with a FEL and a tractor thrown in on the deal.
2*Like getting a nice used Kubota BX23 or 24 and ya get a free tractor and FEL thrown in on the deal with the BH.

/ Do I really need a Backhoe on my CUT??? #8  
Do you NEED power steering? Do you NEED an automatic transmission? Do you NEED a high speed internet connection? Probably not, but they sure are nice when you have them.

If you get a hydraulic thumb, the uses expand. No, you don't NEED a hydraulic thumb :), but once you have it...

One thing about rental units, You will spend about 1/4 to 1/2 of the time learning how to use it productively. That will just about always be the case, unless you rent often. You will also be hurrying to get done in the time allotted and that's when boo-boo's occur. Like digging the power line up, or the gas line or the phone line, or...

If you can afford it, it ain't a bad thing to have. I would look for a non-JD unit to save $$. Heck, for 12k you can probably find a used TLB.

jb

/ Do I really need a Backhoe on my CUT???
7 responses in <12 hours!!! Nice.

Thanks for all that guys.

There are several Montana dealers here in Alberta, so I think I'll give them a try.

Hold on........Actually, I just looked and the Amereuip 8600 can't be the 448. The 8600 doesn't have a curved boom on it.

Do any of you have an opinion on the Woods BH90??? Looks good on paper.

Thanks again, looking forward to reading more thoughts.

-J.

/ Do I really need a Backhoe on my CUT??? #10  
I second most of the coments here about you will use it for things you would never go and rent one for.
1) turning over the compost pile
2) digging trenches to plant asparagus 18" below grade
3) Stumps, stumps and more stumps. Your trees don't get big enough to warrant a larger machine.
4) re-arranging the landscaping just like you would furniture in the living room.
5) cleanout that ditch TODAY that MIGHT not overflow in the spring and flood your house.