Do I really need a tractor on 1.5 acres?

/ Do I really need a tractor on 1.5 acres? #12  
I live on 3 acres but mow about the same amount as you. If all you will use it for I’d say maybe. If you will use it for other things, for sure yes. For example I use mine for handling fire wood, gravel, dirt, landscaping and other tasks. I had a [AFFILIATE=1, nofollow=true, newwindow=true, title="Kubota"]Kubota[/AFFILIATE] BX for 10 years and now a John Deere 2025r. I look at it as a long term investment you won’t regret.

/ Do I really need a tractor on 1.5 acres? #13  
I had a 32 hp compact while I lived in Corrupticut. We had 1.2 acres and I used it almost every day.

/ Do I really need a tractor on 1.5 acres? #14  
I bought a Kabota BX 25 tractor loader backhoe for my three-quarter acre cottage property. Used it a lot, including preparation of my garage pad. Now we have another property 500 m away that’s 25 acres. Never looked back!

/ Do I really need a tractor on 1.5 acres? #15  
OP, sounds like you have enough uses to justify a sub-compact tractor purchase. And, you’re already heading in the right direction, the MF GC1705 is a fantastic tractor. However, I’d go with the GC1723. ;)

Mike

/ Do I really need a tractor on 1.5 acres? #17  
Looking at it by tasks is good. Mowing, rototilling, snow removal, lifting stuff on/off trucks, firewood, field mowing. The other way to look at it is it is a platform. Think of the tractor as the powerhead to a Stihil Kombi unit. Buy the head once and add an attachment when/if you need it vs an engine for each.

I wish I had thought of that before I started out as I had some dumb purchases had I just bought the tractor up-front.

/ Do I really need a tractor on 1.5 acres? #18  
Hi everyone, forum newbie here. Recently I moved to a new property, much bigger than my last. However after seeing our neighbors down the street playing with their bx, I'm questioning if we need one (a subcompact)

We're only on 1.5 acres, it's mostly flat. There are some big dips and ruts down the rear end of the property, but nothing extrodinary. We do have a large garden just above that, and a rocky driveway that I'm considering levelling.

We do use a cub cadet xt2 46in, and this is more than adequate for mowing. However I've found it hard to turn with (seriously who in their right mind decided permanent difflock is good for a lawn mower???) And during the rainy season often times the mower will get stuck,or slide around tearing up the grass. Or most likely just bog down due to the water. Meaning mowing is a chore that will take 2+ hours

I'm planning to start a 120M x 20M garden, however this all clay soil so it's necessary to use a large tiller, of which is extremely expensive.

Preferably something to mow with during the wet, so 4wd is very much preffered.

And planning to modify the garden bed/generally move dirt ect.

I'm thinking of a sub compact but would this be the best choice? I have a Massey furgeson gc1705 with a midmount in mind, that's at a very nice price,and a loader is the cost of a new mower. Therefore I'll end up buying the loader for certain with the machine, and thankfully they are cross compatible.or should I just save my money and rent one when necessary? Hopefully with the tractor I'll sell the lawn mower, but I'm not certain yet

Shouldibuy

YES you have convinced this group beyond a doubt that you can justify a small tractor and front end loader. We like helping you spend money wisely.

Always remember - As you get older your WANTS can be reclassified as NEEDS.

Useful toys (work equipment and tools) also make great gifts to your spouse. My lovely wife has a compact tractor with front end loader and a really nice 60 inch ZTR. IIRC one was a Birthday gift and one for Valentines day. She occasionally reminds me that she has never used either one but since I am her best behaved child I get away with it along with a few roses and dinner.

Enjoy your new work tool.

/ Do I really need a tractor on 1.5 acres? #19  
I'm on 2.5ac of pine running the Kioti CX2510. I absolutely love the thing and everything it's helped me with! I have zero regrets with the purchase.

/ Do I really need a tractor on 1.5 acres? #20  
Make a list of things you will do once every five years, once a year and every couple of months. Look at cost of renting or hiring out seldom performed tasks vs buying too much machine or too many attachments.

If it is a toy or hobby, do not worry about it and get what you think you want. Need has little to do with it.

As to your uses. Hard to fathom rototilling 5-10 times a year...is that a need to want?