Do I really need a tractor on 1.5 acres?

/ Do I really need a tractor on 1.5 acres?
In the manual it looks like it's a pedal near the operator's left heal. Or it's a lever you pull up. I can't tell from the diagram. But there's a whole page on using the diff lock.
Mines just the standard fender. I'm honestly quite mad thanks to that, not only was I promised 3 bladed with difflock and "zero turn" but sofar it has none. And needed a new wiring kit at 60 hours, which due to said electric faults has made the hour meter hit 300. Genuinely don't think I'd ever buy cub again after this

Edit: and cylinder 1 sparkplug was fouled too. And the forward reverse safety, well if I have it on and drive forward, the pto doesn't turn on unless I manually re-engage it too

/ Do I really need a tractor on 1.5 acres? #192  
Another reason, after just having helped a neighbor with a chore. He just sold his 18ft boat, and the buyer was coming to pick it up. However, the boat was out back of his house, and was fairly well wintered in (tires and the jack stand settled into the ground with frost and snow. I attached my 3PH tow bar, went over, and dragged the boat to his driveway. All done in less than 1 hour. ( I had to remove and reattach my snow blower, but that is what neighbors do.) The towbar was one of the cheaper 3PH attachments that I have purchased ($88 back in 2011 from Skid Steer Express), and I have never regretted the purchase, only wishing that I had bought it sooner. Moving or rearranging anything towed with a ball is quick, easy, and much handier with my tractor vs trying to do it with one of the vehicles. I have much better visibility from the tractor seat and the 3PH lift allows for quick and easy attach, detach, and positioning.

Attachments

• IMG_4374a.JPG
    IMG_4374a.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 62
   / Do I really need a tractor on 1.5 acres? #193  

When I first moved to our property 5 yrs ago I rented that same setup. within 2 hrs I hit a sink spot and sunk the skid steer to the top of the tracks in mud.
Fortunately I was close enough to the road that a tow truck was able to pull me out (after 1 hr).

/ Do I really need a tractor on 1.5 acres? #194  
Hi everyone, forum newbie here. Recently I moved to a new property, much bigger than my last. However after seeing our neighbors down the street playing with their bx, I'm questioning if we need one (a subcompact)

We're only on 1.5 acres, it's mostly flat. There are some big dips and ruts down the rear end of the property, but nothing extrodinary. We do have a large garden just above that, and a rocky driveway that I'm considering levelling.

We do use a cub cadet xt2 46in, and this is more than adequate for mowing. However I've found it hard to turn with (seriously who in their right mind decided permanent difflock is good for a lawn mower???) And during the rainy season often times the mower will get stuck,or slide around tearing up the grass. Or most likely just bog down due to the water. Meaning mowing is a chore that will take 2+ hours

I'm planning to start a 120M x 20M garden, however this all clay soil so it's necessary to use a large tiller, of which isY
Hi everyone, forum newbie here. Recently I moved to a new property, much bigger than my last. However after seeing our neighbors down the street playing with their bx, I'm questioning if we need one (a subcompact)

We're only on 1.5 acres, it's mostly flat. There are some big dips and ruts down the rear end of the property, but nothing extrodinary. We do have a large garden just above that, and a rocky driveway that I'm considering levelling.

We do use a cub cadet xt2 46in, and this is more than adequate for mowing. However I've found it hard to turn with (seriously who in their right mind decided permanent difflock is good for a lawn mower???) And during the rainy season often times the mower will get stuck,or slide around tearing up the grass. Or most likely just bog down due to the water. Meaning mowing is a chore that will take 2+ hours

I'm planning to start a 120M x 20M garden, however this all clay soil so it's necessary to use a large tiller, of which is extremely expensive.

Preferably something to mow with during the wet, so 4wd is very much preffered.

And planning to modify the garden bed/generally move dirt ect.

I'm thinking of a sub compact but would this be the best choice? I have a Massey furgeson gc1705 with a midmount in mind, that's at a very nice price,and a loader is the cost of a new mower. Therefore I'll end up buying the loader for certain with the machine, and thankfully they are cross compatible.or should I just save my money and rent one when necessary? Hopefully with the tractor I'll sell the lawn mower, but I'm not certain yet

extremely expensive.

Preferably something to mow with during the wet, so 4wd is very much preffered.

And planning to modify the garden bed/generally move dirt ect.

I'm thinking of a sub compact but would this be the best choice? I have a Massey furgeson gc1705 with a midmount in mind, that's at a very nice price,and a loader is the cost of a new mower. Therefore I'll end up buying the loader for certain with the machine, and thankfully they are cross compatible.or should I just save my money and rent one when necessary? Hopefully with the tractor I'll sell the lawn mower, but I'm not certain yet

/ Do I really need a tractor on 1.5 acres? #195  
Your best option is to partner with or maybe rent from one of your neighbors with a tractor.
Yep, I would buy the tractor with a front loader. Nope, you can't really justify it - but you will enjoy every time you find a use for it.
For situations like yours, most of the world does just fine with a 2-wheel walk-behind tractor. Cheap, simple, and will plow, disk, mow, cultivate, and pull a trailer. This is the best option if you are on a tight budget.
If not, get a tractor, have fun finding more stuff to justify the expense. Just know that someday you may have a $2500. electronics repair bill like I did last summer.

/ Do I really need a tractor on 1.5 acres? #196  
You definitely do! I have 4 for 3 acres. JD 322, JD GT 235, JD X540 and JD 4110

/ Do I really need a tractor on 1.5 acres? #198  
My story ...
I've got four wheel barrows & a dozen shovels ... don't need a FEL.
I've got a dozen hacksaws ... don't need a 4½" grinder.
I've got several compressors ... don't need a Milwaukee M18 inflator.
The list continues to grow.
Get the drift ?
Blue fleet 010.jpg

/ Do I really need a tractor on 1.5 acres? #199  
One tractor per acre is my goal. Counting riding mowers I have 5 for 5 acres.

/ Do I really need a tractor on 1.5 acres? #200  
My 2c is pay someone to do any major projects, then buy whatever you need to maintain it.