Do I wait???

/ Do I wait??? #1  

shooterdon

Elite Member
Near Johannesburg MI but in the middle of nowhere
Tractor
2019 LS XR4140 HST Cab; 2020 Kawasaki Mule SX; 2021 Bad Boy 54" ZT Elite
Ordered a Bad Boy ZT Elite a few weeks ago. Got a call from the dealer and they got a shipment in yesterday. But they only engine available was the Kohler and I ordered a Kawasaki. Seems Kawasaki is backed up and no idea when I can get one.

I have a mower I can use so no urgency. It is sold to a buddy and he can wait for it.

If I take the Kohler engine option, I can get the ZT now and save $350. But that seems like a pittance on a $5k purchase. I am leaning to waiting. Any thoughts on how much better the Kawasaki FR730 is than the Kohler 7000?

/ Do I wait??? #3  
I have had very good service from Kawasaki engines.

/ Do I wait??? #4  
I would wait. Less than thrilled with Koehler head gaskets

/ Do I wait???
Got an update from the dealer. He found another dealer that has an Elite with a 60" deck who will put on a 54" deck but wants $500 more than the originally quoted price. That will bring me to over $6k for a lawn mower to cut 2 acres of grass.

Starting to think I may be better off with a residential model model that is almost half the price. Family Farm and Home have a 54" Husqvarna with Kawasaki engine advertised for $3k.

I cut grass or mulch leaves about 20 times a year. With my 48" rider it takes 1 hr and 45 minutes. With the 54" ZT it should take about an hour. So 20 hours a year. I am 70 so the cheap POS model might still last me my lifetime anyway.

BTW, my rider is a Husqvarna with Kohler engine bought from Lowes in 2012 for $1800 and still runs great. My buddy will give me $1000 for it. I have spent $100 on it in repairs so cannot complain.

There is a Husky dealer in town so I may see what they have.

/ Do I wait??? #9  
Got an update from the dealer. He found another dealer that has an Elite with a 60" deck who will put on a 54" deck but wants $500 more than the originally quoted price. That will bring me to over $6k for a lawn mower to cut 2 acres of grass.

Starting to think I may be better off with a residential model model that is almost half the price. Family Farm and Home have a 54" Husqvarna with Kawasaki engine advertised for $3k.

I cut grass or mulch leaves about 20 times a year. With my 48" rider it takes 1 hr and 45 minutes. With the 54" ZT it should take about an hour. So 20 hours a year. I am 70 so the cheap POS model might still last me my lifetime anyway.

BTW, my rider is a Husqvarna with Kohler engine bought from Lowes in 2012 for $1800 and still runs great. My buddy will give me $1000 for it. I have spent $100 on it in repairs so cannot complain.

There is a Husky dealer in town so I may see what they have.
You might want to look at the SCAG Liberty Z.....maybe even a used one.
A great Kawasaki powered machine with a sturdy fabricated deck.

/ Do I wait??? #10  
With ANY zero turn mower, I'd be cognizant about what transmission they have. Myself, I prefer Hydro Gear because they can be serviced easily. Tuff Torque transmissions are hard to service and noted for failures and the transmissions are super expensive to replace.