Do they make a good mop anymore?

/ Do they make a good mop anymore? #1  

gsganzer

Elite Member
Tractor
L3800 w/FEL and BH77, BX 2200 w/FEL and MMM
I started today by knocking my full 30oz coffee mug off the counter. It became a coffee bomb all over the kitchen floor. In the ensuing clean up, I discovered that every mop we own is a piece of crap.

Either the sponge isn't truly secure, or the wringer thing doesn't truly wring the sponge out good enough. Who makes a good mop? I remember the traditional types that the janitor always used that had the yarn and the wheeled bucket with the wringer thing, but who has room to keep that around? Surely, there's something better than these cheap things from the big box stores.

/ Do they make a good mop anymore? #2  
Walmart sells traditional mops with replaceable heads, Rubbermaid wheeled buckets and wringers. My home is entirely tile. I have been using one Rubbermaid wheeled bucket and wringer for over ten years.

It is important to thoroughly rinse a traditional mop in clear water plus bleach after use, otherwise mop will be loaded with insects and mold in three days.

Mop, less protruding handle, and wringer store in the bucket.

Proper care of mops was only one useful thing I learned during an enlistment in the US Navy.

Last edited:
   / Do they make a good mop anymore? #3  
The wheeled bucket with wringer are cheap plastic gears that strip easily

/ Do they make a good mop anymore? #4  
We've always had pretty good luck with O-Cedar or Rubbermaid sponge mops for cleaning up spills. They work really well. Better than a yarn-type mop for sure. Just be sure and rinse them out and ring them out well when done, and put it in a well ventilated place to dry for the next time. Replacement sponges are easy to find and easy to change. They don't fall off like the cheap ones.

For daily cleaning, we use the Swiffer products. Works great for dusting the hardwood floors and washing the wood and vinyl flooring and tile flooring.

/ Do they make a good mop anymore? #5  
I loathe sponge mops. Never work worth a ****, and you can never find a replacement head. Their sale is a tax on the uninformed. String mop all the way for me.

/ Do they make a good mop anymore? #6  
For daily cleaning, we use the Swiffer products. Works great for dusting the hardwood floors and washing the wood and vinyl flooring and tile flooring.

I can't say "we" since I've never used them, but I sure buy them every once in a while for my wife to use. She likes'em.

I have one of those mop bucket with wringer, on wheels, that I use with a mop with the yarn on the patio. But the mop bucket is a cheap one that I bought at Home Depot and I would NOT buy such again. Should have bought a more expensive one.

/ Do they make a good mop anymore? #7  
Home Depot sell good mop...try get wooden handle tho.

/ Do they make a good mop anymore? #9  
Like all things in life, sometimes you get what you pay for. Never a complaint using this set up in the last 10 years no matter what kind of replacement "mop head" we've bought.

M.png

No matter how great the mop head, you'll still have to ring it out to get it clean to re use it.

Last edited:
   / Do they make a good mop anymore? #10  
Best is from a janitorial supply store.
Industrial mop, wringer bucket.