Do you adjust/level your mower deck every year?

/ Do you adjust/level your mower deck every year? #1  

Jack Vines

Bronze Member
On my 2135, as with all my mowers over the years, I sharpen and balance the blades every spring tune-up. The last couple of years, I've found it necessary to level the deck. Over six months of hard use, the front U-mount lock nuts have vibrated loose and the side-to-side is always slightly off.

It's a small PITA to go through this adjustment, but the result is a visibly smoother cut on the lawn.

The next time I have it apart, I may put new nylok nuts on the front U-mount and use them on the back side as well as the OEM placement on the front.

Any other deck leveling tricks or tips to share?

jack vines

/ Do you adjust/level your mower deck every year? #2  
I only level the deck if it is cutting on an angle. If it ain't broke, I don't fix it. One thing I did do was to have all 4 tires "no-flatted". A tire dealer filled them with a liquid rubber of some sort that gets semi-solid. I haven't had to worry about tire inflation or flats for 3 years.

/ Do you adjust/level your mower deck every year? #3  
I cut a block of wood the same height as my mowing height, and everytime I mow I check both sides against the height of the wood block. I am amazed at how quickly the desk gets out of level. Of course, make sure you check your tires first. I have adjusted the deck when it was a low tire causing the problem.

/ Do you adjust/level your mower deck every year? #4  
I have used a short piece of pipe with a nut welded to the end of it, screw a bolt in the nut and you have an adjustable height gauge. Weld a scrap piece of rod to it and you can slide it around under the deck very easily. Ed

/ Do you adjust/level your mower deck every year? #5  
Checks cutting edge height in any blade position, L to R or F to B. No numbers to record or attempt to remember.

Attachments

• deck level gauge 2015.jpg
    deck level gauge 2015.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 173
   / Do you adjust/level your mower deck every year? #6  
Never have on any of our mowers, if the finished cut looks good, then its good enough.

The only problem ever encountered over the years was getting the 2550 to cut low enough. Now that I modded that work order it's now possible I can angle sharpen the blades right on the removed deck...

...so life is good mower wise.

/ Do you adjust/level your mower deck every year? #7  
No I don't need to. I keep the tires on the deck gauge wheels at the same pressure and avoid hitting objects that can or would bend, break or other wise reset the deck height. I tend to avoid equippment abuse and that saves a lot of time and money. I recommend it.