do you allways have to run tractor at full rpm for work?

/ do you allways have to run tractor at full rpm for work? #51  
I have a 2 speed PTO (540/750). I can select 750 and then run the engine at a lower speed that will give me 540 on the PTO. The tractor is more powerful then the 6' brush hog needs so there is no experienced loss of power.

/ do you allways have to run tractor at full rpm for work? #52  
Do I understand correctly that the 540 pto speed is only achieved at full throttle? Not to be dumb, but I thought for some reason that the pto speed was always at a constant 540 regardless of engine speed. I know I've seen farm machinery connected to a stopped tractor at idle speed working along just fine. Somehow I thought that was the point.

Read your manual! There should be a table that lists the engine speed for PTO speed. I could never remember it so I wrote it on the hood where I could see it from the seat. Full PTO is generally (not always) close to the governor limit.

/ do you allways have to run tractor at full rpm for work? #53  
Do I understand correctly that the 540 pto speed is only achieved at full throttle? Not to be dumb, but I thought for some reason that the pto speed was always at a constant 540 regardless of engine speed. I know I've seen farm machinery connected to a stopped tractor at idle speed working along just fine. Somehow I thought that was the point.

I had meant to say that if you have been watching something like a hay elevator being run off a PTO.... quite possible neither the individual at the bottom or the one at the top wanted it run flat out (-:
Sure, they could run it fast and leave gaps, but that would show that they're not keeping up (lay_zee), so lets just idle it down and take our time, eh ?
Gotta make this job last, or we'll have to get to the next one (-: