Do You Cover Your Vertical Exhaust Stack Tip While Trailering?

/ Do You Cover Your Vertical Exhaust Stack Tip While Trailering?
This is strictly my opinion.

Wive's tale. As we Missourians say.

No way, no how that vacuum or air pressure is gonna spin the turbo enough to ruin the bearings. Remember, there's no load, even if it would be possible to spin it, which it is not.

I live along Interstate 35 hiway in Northern Missouri. If I travel the Interstate it is very common to see new JD equipment being hauled South from their plant in Iowa. None of them, regardless of type of equipment, i.e., Backhoe, Grader Dozer, Skid Steer, CTL, etc., have their exhaust pipes covered. NONE OF THEM. Graders are 99% hauled backwards with their huge exhaust pipe pointing forward. Not covered.....

Makes for a great discussion though, with plenty of experts. :)

Well, Until it's out of warranty I don't want to give anyone a excuse not to fix something that breaks......

/ Do You Cover Your Vertical Exhaust Stack Tip While Trailering? #22  
Well, Until it's out of warranty I don't want to give anyone a excuse not to fix something that breaks......

Please explain to me how the turbo could possibly spin at a rate of speed that would be damaging. Where would it get the air flow, in or out, to do such damage?? :)

/ Do You Cover Your Vertical Exhaust Stack Tip While Trailering? #23  
Please explain to me how the turbo could possibly spin at a rate of speed that would be damaging. Where would it get the air flow, in or out, to do such damage?? :)
IF it spins even 1krpm for several hrs in transport w/o any oil flow there would be damage. The flow would be thru any overlapped valves allowing an Intake - Exhaust path.

/ Do You Cover Your Vertical Exhaust Stack Tip While Trailering?

I have no idea as I have little engineering experience. All I know is that it is in the manual and I doubt they dreamed this up for ***** and giggles. My higher education and 42 years experience owning a company with 830 employees is in Botany, Biology and soil chemistry. I realized years back there are others more experienced than myself in many areas and I usually take their advice unless proven otherwise.

/ Do You Cover Your Vertical Exhaust Stack Tip While Trailering? #25  
IF it spins even 1krpm for several hrs in transport w/o any oil flow there would be damage. The flow would be thru any overlapped valves allowing an Intake - Exhaust path.

Over the past 25 years we've bought 6 new graders. Every one of them has been delivered by trailer, loaded with the exhaust pointing forward. Two came straight from the factory to our location loaded that way. None have ever had the exhaust pipe covered. None have had any turbo issues.

As I said earlier, there will be a dozen or more go by here on trailers today uncovered. :confused3:

/ Do You Cover Your Vertical Exhaust Stack Tip While Trailering? #26  
I have no idea as I have little engineering experience. All I know is that it is in the manual and I doubt they dreamed this up for ***** and giggles. My higher education and 42 years experience owning a company with 830 employees is in Botany, Biology and soil chemistry. I realized years back there are others more experienced than myself in many areas and I usually take their advice unless proven otherwise.

I agree. And as mentioned, if you had turbo problems your manufacturer could claim it was because you hauled uncovered. I'm just saying it's an overstated issue. I'm sure in your field you see overstated issues on a daily basis. :)

/ Do You Cover Your Vertical Exhaust Stack Tip While Trailering? #27  
Back when I was in fleet maintenance the Mack service rep relayed some interesting failures. Seems that only the second and third truck on piggyback truck deliveries were failing turbochargers at an alarming rate. They eventually surmised that it was the turbos spinning unlubricated during transport. In another case only one truck in a fleet was failing turbochargers and the factory could not figure out why. They sent a rep to the facility where the trucks were housed and found that the particular truck was parked with the intake/exhaust stacks directly in front of a high velocity HVAC duct outlet every night.

/ Do You Cover Your Vertical Exhaust Stack Tip While Trailering? #28  
I have a friend (one) who used to be in the dozer business. He told me he once agreed to buy a used dozer and the seller was to arrange transport. My friend specifically stated that the exhaust needed to be covered to prevent the turbo from spinning while on the road.

When the lowboy pulled into his place, he saw that the exhaust had not been covered, contrary to his instructions, and he refused to pay the final amount due on the purchase of the dozer until he put a few hours on it and satisfied himself that the turbo was OK.

He told me this story probably 30 years ago, and I still remember it. And I always cover the exhaust of my little (non-turbo) tractor when trailering.

/ Do You Cover Your Vertical Exhaust Stack Tip While Trailering? #29  
I LOOoOoOOOOoooove my turbo but still hate my tractor.

[video]http://vid1373.photobucket.com/albums/ag391/Frednation/IMGP0187_zps0ad89d01.mp4[/video]

Thanks Richard!

Fred

/ Do You Cover Your Vertical Exhaust Stack Tip While Trailering? #30  
vacuum is created in this situation (while being transported) & the turbine will spin, doesn't have to be an inlet/outlet for that to happen

I'd sure would love to get a detailed explanation of this. A vacuum doesn't necessarily equal air movement. It just means negative air pressure. That would be held held constant if both inlet and outlet is sealed. Not sure how a turbo (fins) move without some type of air flow through the system. Don't buy that one open valve is going to create damage.