Do you know what the purple paint law is?

/ Do you know what the purple paint law is? #1  

Sigarms

Tractor
F3080
Got to be honest, had no clue what that particular law was.

Just wondering how many landowners in the state where such laws exist know about this law?

At the end of the day, it just leaves me scratching my head on exactly how it accomplishes anything when a written sign won't.

/ Do you know what the purple paint law is? #2  
It's not better or worse than signs, just another way to post your land.

/ Do you know what the purple paint law is? #3  
I think it’s much better than signs.
Trespassers can’t rip down purple paint and claim ignorance when they are caught. It’s also a lot cheaper than signs and easier to maintain for large landowners
I post land as a service for a few of my elderly landowners and every year, we see signs ripped down and hunting tree stands on the property.
The purple paint law was passed in my state in 2020

/ Do you know what the purple paint law is?
I think it’s much better than signs.
Trespassers can’t rip down purple paint and claim ignorance when they are caught. It’s also a lot cheaper than signs and easier to maintain for large landowners
Don't get me wrong, it actually does make sense, but at the end of the day, is it really going to make a difference?

I've been kind of lucky, I only had issues one time with ATV's on my property in 15 or so years, lets just say they haven't been back since and signs had nothing to do with rectifying the issue.

/ Do you know what the purple paint law is? #5  
Got to be honest, had no clue what that particular law was.

Just wondering how many landowners in the state where such laws exist know about this law?

At the end of the day, it just leaves me scratching my head on exactly how it accomplishes anything when a written sign won't.
A written sign or purple paint don't keep people out. It provides legal notice. That's required in many places as a first step, before you can arrest, prosecute, etc...

/ Do you know what the purple paint law is? #7  
There is this little known internet forum where I first ran across it back in 2011:
Is the property posted? I see you are in Missouri and did a quick Google and found this: Purple paint law
Landowners may post or define the boundaries of their property by marking trees and fence posts with purple paint. In a court of law, a property boundary marked with purple paint is the same as posting "no Trespassing" signs.

Seems fairly clear that you can go nuts with the purple paint.

Having said that, On my 80 acres I have a fairly good idea of where the line is, but couldn't place it exactly other than in proximity to the corners. Lately I have been getting ore aggressive about posting the borders where I have a good idea where they are, especially where trails travers the border. But I tend to place the posted signs a bit back (like 5 yards or so) from where I "believe" the border is so as to not inadvertantly place the sign on the nrighbors land.

Love secsnick's thought about coyote urine. I might try just pissing around the stand myself, but then the deer will just pass out making it far to easy for the hunters to take them. :D
/edit - In Mississippi ALL land is "NO TRESPASSING" by default.
In the State of Mississippi any person who enters the land of somebody without consent or without being accompanied by the landowner, lessee of the land, or representing agent will be guilty of a misdemeanor or more, depending on intent. For example, if the trespasser enters the land to kill livestock, he or she will be prosecuted for criminal trespass.

Last edited:
   / Do you know what the purple paint law is? #8  
Don't get me wrong, it actually does make sense, but at the end of the day, is it really going to make a difference?

I've been kind of lucky, I only had issues one time with ATV's on my property in 15 or so years, lets just say they haven't been back since and signs had nothing to do with rectifying the issue.
It might.
Lets say you have signs. Signs can fall or be blown off trees. Purple paint isn’t infallible, but better for enduring natural disasters. It’s also tougher for a trespasser to remove.
The height at which purple paint is applied (5-8’) is perfect for walking through the woods and applying.
Signs usually require one to lug a step ladder, signs, hammer, roofing nails, etc. That’s a lot more difficult than a daypack with paint cans.
Notice is the key to winning trespassing lawsuits. The better the notice, the better the land owners chances are.

/ Do you know what the purple paint law is? #10  
Honestly I will be using it as well. Just never knew about it.
I did my first property early this year and it was so much easier.
The thing I wonder is different from what you guys brought up.
I think the issue is most trespassers don’t know what purple paint means.
Now I know ignorance is not an excuse for breaking laws, but let’s face it, a lot of trespassing is done by hikers, walkers, etc and they may not know.
Poachers and illegal hunters? Yeah, they know what purple paint means…