Do you like slide under ramps?

/ Do you like slide under ramps? #1  

Charlesaf3

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota B3030, Kubota M59 TLB
Wondering what people think of certain ramp designs. I'm drawn to the idea of a skid steer/car hauler trailer like the PJ CC 6" for my needs.

Seems like the main issue with some of the designs is the ramps stick up in the air, which looks like a lot of drag for long trips (gas is getting crazy) and more importantly - blocks the back.

The main problem with skid steer trailers seems to be forking things on and off them. If I can get pallets on the back, that would solve that. But obviously can't have ramps in the way.

So the solution to the problem seems to be the ramps that slip under the trailer. This seems pretty rare out there for some reason - am I missing why they are bad?

/ Do you like slide under ramps? #2  
My Dad's car trailer has the slide under ramps. It seems that at least half the things we use the trailer for we don't even use the ramps, so they're completely out of the way. I like that little feature. The only time they ever get frustrating is on the rare occasion we need to get something real heavy loaded from soft ground. The trailer pitches so much the ramps can come detached while you're trying to load! This is not an issue on firm ground, nor would it be an issue if they were actually connected to the trailer, but then again, they'd be in the way half the time. :confused2:

Just my :2cents:

Joe

/ Do you like slide under ramps? #3  
My Dad's car trailer has the slide under ramps. It seems that at least half the things we use the trailer for we don't even use the ramps, so they're completely out of the way. I like that little feature. The only time they ever get frustrating is on the rare occasion we need to get something real heavy loaded from soft ground. The trailer pitches so much the ramps can come detached while you're trying to load! This is not an issue on firm ground, nor would it be an issue if they were actually connected to the trailer, but then again, they'd be in the way half the time. :confused2:

Just my :2cents:

Joe
Would blocks help? I had a beaver tail with slide in ramps. I would lay some blocks under the back of the trailer to minimize the deck dropping and stabilize it. Keep an inch or so of air space between the trailer and the blocks so you don't get too hung up once the weight is on.

Re: Ramps. Only issue with the ramps is that they were kind of heavy and awkward to slide in on the trailer I had. Nothing you could not live with if you did not want the ramps in the way.

Your other optioin would be a tilt deck.

/ Do you like slide under ramps? #4  
My car hauler has the rear slide in ramps, and have to say I really like them, the ramps are built into the frame of the trailer, just pull a spring loaded pin and slid them out, no lifting or hooking on the back of the trailer. I also had heavy duty stabilizer jacks mounted to each rear corner of the trailer, they really help out a lot to keep the trailer from trying to squat when loading something.

/ Do you like slide under ramps? #5  
I've got slide in ramps on my car hauler style trailer. They are easy to use, the only thing I don't like about them is the weight. They are pretty heavy, but not so bad you can't manhandle them around.

/ Do you like slide under ramps? #6  
I have slide in ramps on my 18' trailer and would not go any other way. Stand up ramps just get in the way on my buddies trailer trying to unload pallets, haul long lumber, ect. They are the only way to go in my opinion.

Chris

/ Do you like slide under ramps? #7  
I should make something clear. On my trailer my 5' long slide in ramps slide in from the rear of the trailer, not the side. Simply pull the pin, slide them out, lift the trailer end 3" to put in the channel and you are done. Very simple and easy on the back. I can put them in and out in about 20 seconds each max.

Chris

/ Do you like slide under ramps? #8  
When I built a 22' gooseneck, I made it where I can slide in the ramps under the trailer right into the rear bumper, that way I can haul things sticking out over the trailer. As you were saying you wanted to have that extra 2' of dove flate for loading things from the rear, I been there too, where I needed the 2'dove laying flat. If I still had it I might of made something to were I could do that like a pop-up, but i would of made it a foot longer were it would be hanging over a foot. I did take all of this into thought, but i bought a new trailer instead, 30' GN with a center pop up and i needed the heavyer axles, so I paid the price and made the wife mad and got it. But like i told the wife, at least I am safe and legal. If you have any welding and cutting skills, you will think of something, I seem to do that alot now, building thing from scratch. Good luck

/ Do you like slide under ramps?
Thanks, great advice as usual, seems to be what I thought. I'd really like the ability to have things hang over the back, and to fork stuff on the back easily (takes away some of the lowboy downside)

Thinking that with a lowboy I don't really need a dovetail, does that make sense? Its one of the reasons for going the lowboy route

/ Do you like slide under ramps? #10  
Thanks, great advice as usual, seems to be what I thought. I'd really like the ability to have things hang over the back, and to fork stuff on the back easily (takes away some of the lowboy downside)

Thinking that with a lowboy I don't really need a dovetail, does that make sense? Its one of the reasons for going the lowboy route

My 18' low boy does not have a Dovetail. I would not want one on a low boy. I have loaded everything with the lowest being 2 different Corvettes which are as about as low as you can get and did not have any issues but it was close.

Chris