Do you plant trees?

/ Do you plant trees?
Deer are owned by the state. Trees are owned by the property owner. If you're suggesting that trees on private property should be owned by the state, yikes! You're gonna get roasted. ;)
If you saw the rules we need to abide by to cut timber, you might think that trees are publicly owned. As I mentioned before any clearcut over 5 acres needs to be regenerated within 5 years, and there are stipulations on tree species, minimum height and density.

/ Do you plant trees? #23  
If you saw the rules we need to abide by to cut timber, you might think that trees are publicly owned. As I mentioned before any clearcut over 5 acres needs to be regenerated within 5 years, and there are stipulations on tree species, minimum height and density.
That either doesn’t apply in Kentucky or isn’t enforced. I just see the results and it usually looks like a Civil War battlefield when the loggers leave.

/ Do you plant trees? #24  
Yeah the state does a great job of regulating everything. Just like out west where you're not allowed to even cut up dead stuff and they have wildfires, burning thousands of acres. I'll take care of own thanks.

Jeff
I remember what the air and water was like before EPA existed. Rivers were catching on fire and you couldn’t see the skyline in Los Angeles. The snow in winter was dirty when it fell, from the air pollution. That’s what they have in China still.

/ Do you plant trees? #25  
I have a hundred Black Walnut seedlings in beds right now. I could grow a lot more but I have no where left to plant them.

/ Do you plant trees? #26  
That either doesn’t apply in Kentucky or isn’t enforced. I just see the results and it usually looks like a Civil War battlefield when the loggers leave.
Timber laws, like most others are going to vary from state to state as does the enforcement. Plenty of hacks who have a 3rd hand skidder and know where they can borrow a chainsaw calling themselves loggers. My parents hired one of them in the 80s.
Most of 'em don't last very long before doing sloppy work catches up with them.

/ Do you plant trees? #27  
I remember what the air and water was like before EPA existed. Rivers were catching on fire and you couldn’t see the skyline in Los Angeles. The snow in winter was dirty when it fell, from the air pollution. That’s what they have in China still.
And that's the same thing as the government taking control of every tree in America.

Jeff

/ Do you plant trees? #29  
Plenty of hacks who have a 3rd hand skidder and know where they can borrow a chainsaw calling themselves loggers. My parents hired one of them in the 80s.
Most of 'em don't last very long before doing sloppy work catches up with them.
Yep.

On the other hand I’ve seen Amish go in with horses and selective cut and the property looks better than ever when they’re done.

/ Do you plant trees?
Yep.

On the other hand I’ve seen Amish go in with horses and selective cut and the property looks better than ever when they’re done.
I've never seen a horse logging operation which actually "improved" the stands. Generally they go after the biggest, best stems and leave the poor quality trees for the next guy.
You only notice the aesthetics, not the forest health.