Doctors retiring

/ Doctors retiring #21  
ERs are not created equal. :) And I didn't say they'd get good care, just care. Mandatory health care in ERs is also why hospitals close them or provide poor care except for the true emergencies. ERs, as a hospital department lose money.

Sadly, people equate health insurance with health care. They also use the word 'free' when what they really mean is 'someone else pays'.

True. Sad but true.
I am just very lucky I have good health so far. Have not had any need for doctors.

/ Doctors retiring #22  
Government regulation is pushing the small local doctor practice to work for big companies. Hospitals in my area have been consolidating for years and this really accelerated in the past few years. We no longer use the doctor's office we have gone to for 10 years because they are part of a large "company" and the doctor turnover was pretty high. What broke the camels back was my wife went to the office to get a short of an overseas trip. I went to the same office for the same reason but I was billed several hundred dollars for a "consultation" vs a shot. We could not get the office to change the billing. :mad::mad::mad: Obviously, some nim rod in the office wrote down the wrong code but they could not/would not change the billing. Fine. We can, at least for now, change doctors. <Insert Middle Finger Emoticon> :laughing::laughing::laughing:

The current doctor is an old "country" doctor. I doubt we will be with him long before he retires. He is what a doctor SHOULD Be....

We used to go to a really good bone cracker but we stopped going to him because his billing was a mess. :confused2: The office just could not get the bills right. We could never tell if this was because he was too cheap to hire competent staff or if the administrative overhead forced him to try to do the work himself. He was CONSTANTLY complaining about paperwork and how he wanted to go work for a larger practice that could afford people to handle the paper work. I think this is the new normal for doctors AND patients. My wife was working on health care bills last night and she makes at least one call a week to service providers about billing issues.

Unfortunately, we have quite a bit of experience with the health care system. The billing sucks and it is getting worse. I am not talking about costs, just dealing with the paperwork. Most of our billing issues are in the doctors offices and not with the so called evil insurance companies. In fact, we have a contact at our insurance company that helps us out when things go bad. We have constant billing issues with the service providers and we have had ID theft from one doctors office. :mad::mad::mad:

It is apparent that government regulation is pushing for a consolidation of service providers into ever bigger organizations while more revenue is given to insurance companies under ***** Care.

What is ironic is reading about people cruising the world, in out of the way places, getting good quality health care for very little money when they need the care. The health care quality is good, service fast, and prices reasonable if not cheap.

Later,
Dan

/ Doctors retiring #23  
Please quote your source for 'more and more revenue is going to insurance companies.'.

States who set up exchanges got money for Medicaid, for a few years.

Unions and other entities got money to help people sign up.

I am not aware of any insurance company who received money, in fact I have heard some insurance companies are losing money on ACA and will be cutting back on what they offer.

/ Doctors retiring #24  
Please quote your source for 'more and more revenue is going to insurance companies.'.

States who set up exchanges got money for Medicaid, for a few years.

Unions and other entities got money to help people sign up.

I am not aware of any insurance company who received money, in fact I have heard some insurance companies are losing money on ACA and will be cutting back on what they offer.

It is self evident that insurance companies are getting more revenue from premiums because there are more people insured by ***** Care. NC BCBS lost money on ***** Care policies and they are asking for something like a 25-35% increase in premium costs for next year. Thus more revenue. Revenue is not profit. Not yet at least, but once they figure out the the correct expense/premium ratio, the higher revenues will likely lead to higher profits. NC BCBS had a 20-25% increase in revenue in 2014 but ***** Care policies spent 40%ish more than non ***** Care policies and this caused NCBS to loose money. NC BCBS lost money but increased revenues because of ***** Care policies. The ***** Care policies extra costs were for visits to the ER, special drugs for Hep C, and for some strange reason, double the amount of Orthopedic care.

All of this was reported in our local news, though certainly not on the front page. The NC BCBS report is here Blue Cross Blue Shield of North Carolina Reports Financial Results for 2014 | Blue Cross Blue Shield North Carolina

Later,
Dan

/ Doctors retiring #25  
Think that is bad. Our rural municipality of Kincardine with 12,000 persons is loosing four physicians this year.

/ Doctors retiring #26  
For every action, there is a reaction. What we starting to see is the reaction to ***** care. Make the medical profession subject to income reduction and more complications, the supply and quality dries up.

Will

/ Doctors retiring #27  
The hospital I work at is busier than ever. No idea if they're making money or not. They've been bought out so many times I stopped counting (twice this year alone). Here are the things that have added tons of paperwork:
(1) HIPPA Compliance.
(2) Vendor tracking (a part of ***** Care)
(3) Double the insurance filings (also due to ***** Care)
(4) Computerized dispensing and inventory of pharms and consumables (a part of ***** Care to cut out waste)
Those are just the ones that come to mind. The doctors I talk to are making less and working more.

/ Doctors retiring #29  
When it will become really terrifying is when providers get paid for your health maintenance--the more you use it the less their return. We are seeing the shift from 'do more to get paid more', to 'do the same to get paid less'. Next will be 'get paid less for not doing more'. Then the care system that offers the service will be as motivated as the insurers to resist providing the service. Only in this country could something essentially very simple and easily measured by customer satisfaction be made into a overly-complex system with dissatisfied providers and consumers littering the construct.

/ Doctors retiring #30  
ICD10 codes get rolled out on 10/1. There are about 14000 icd9 billing codes and 70000 icd10billing codes. Get a code wrong and .........
We get hammered all the time about insurance denials for what we bill in the Physical therapy dept. Of a state hospital. As far as non coverage, I work in a rehab department and my insurance would not cover many of the things we bill for every day

ICD Coding personal are in high demand, and command a high salary. Medical practices that don't want to modernize to the electronic age will have problems. The computer programs used by Primary Care Doctors are rather sophisticated. The Doctor enter the information on his examining room computer and information is sent to the patients record, billing, lab etc.