Does the John Deere mid mount mower auto connect work reliably?

/ Does the John Deere mid mount mower auto connect work reliably? #1  
Tractor
I do not have a tractor yet.
Does it really work and do so reliably? It's not just marketing is it? Does the competition have the same capabilities?

/ Does the John Deere mid mount mower auto connect work reliably? #2  
Yes and no. I’ve had mine for 3 years roughly. The no answer if for if it’s not setup properly. Mine was close and once I tweaked it more or less perfect. It’s on and off in less than 5 minutes. One item that is critical is making sure the pto is set to the rear only. This allows the mid pto to rotate easily and helps it go on and off easier.

Its not hands free, you have to pop the 4 latches on the anti scalp wheels so the deck drops all the way and there are two pins that need pulled and two latches that need tripped. It’s pretty slick and well engineered.

I know Kubota has a similar system on the BX tractors, I’ve read it doesn’t work as well but have no personal experience.

/ Does the John Deere mid mount mower auto connect work reliably? #3  
If you got the room, go with a RFM.

While the MMM is a space saving device and slightly more maneuverable, I've found that the older you get, the harder it is to connect them. Gets old crawling around on the floor.

I've got a BX2200... with the MMM. Would I get it again with a MMM? Absolutely not. I would spend the money on a KingKutter finish mower.

My MMM has been rebuilt several times. Mostly the left and right spindle bearings go south first.

I will be on my second rebuild of my MMM gearbox as it developed a slow leak from the bottom seal. While I'm in there, I will tear it apart, check the gear splines for any abnormal wear or damage. Then replace all bearings. Personally, 2500 RPM for a gearbox is a bit much. Even though it don't got a tach, I run it a tad slower, probably in the neighborhood of 2200 RPM, which between that and yearly gearbox oil changes, it has served me well this time around. Last time I rebuilt it was 7 years ago. Probably has 1,200 hours of mowing since last rebuild.

Once something severely breaks on this MMM and it's no longer cost effective to repair, I will go with a 60" RFM.

/ Does the John Deere mid mount mower auto connect work reliably? #4  
Not really applicable because a BX2200 does not have any kind of auto connect system.

/ Does the John Deere mid mount mower auto connect work reliably? #5  
Not really applicable because a BX2200 does not have any kind of auto connect system.
Yes it would be, if you need to adjust it or does not go on (or come off) automatically. These systems wear and fatigue with time and use. You will be on the floor scratching your head. lol

I just serviced one of these a few weeks ago for a friend that was frustrated with it not auto connecting. This was on a 2032R. Almost every year they had to bring it in for service to fix the automatic connection system for beaucoup $$$. They got tired of it and phoned me to see if I could fix it in my already busy schedule.

I spent more time fiddling with the linkages than what I would've wanted to. I found that some of the bolts had backed off causing issues with the alignment of practically everything. Being that it was off kilter, it slightly bent one of the latch mechanisms which I was able to repair using my press.

After getting it back within specs, it works as it should... but the amount of hours I put into it was too much in my books for an automatic connecting lawn mower deck. Especially one that will likely need to be re-serviced next season. Best part -- apparently I got it done 2 hours less than what the dealer did the previous year!

I thought about the design and how it could be possible improved. But then I stepped back... and asked myself "Why?!"...

/ Does the John Deere mid mount mower auto connect work reliably? #6  
The best solution that I have seen for a mmm is a totally separate mower. Yes it cost more money. Yes it's one more piece of equipment to maintain. But when you want to go and mow grass that's what you do. No changing implements etc. Just fuel, grease and go.

/ Does the John Deere mid mount mower auto connect work reliably? #7  
I had a 2032R with MMM and it was difficult to line up and attach. Moreso when the HOC (height of cut) actuator died, which is a common problem with the Deere MMM. Do an internet search for Deere HOC problems and you'll find numerous problems with them. And they are stupid expensive to fix.

My solution was to get a riding mower, sell the 2032R and get a 4044M. Now I'm happy.

/ Does the John Deere mid mount mower auto connect work reliably? #8  
There is a height adjustment actuator that is a problem, JD calls it command cut. Some people never have a problem but I would say it has too high of a failure rate. You get that option on a 2032r and a 2038r no matter what. On a 1025r and 2025r the standard deck is run off the 3 point for the mower lift. My 2025r has the standard lift tied to the 3 point. This problem with this actuator doesn’t have anything to do with the autoconnect mechanism itself.

On my 2025r I have bent the draft link on the front of the mower, it catches on the loader stand if the loader is on when removing the deck. I always mow with the loader removed so I just have to make sure to take the deck off before installing the mower. I can leave the deck on also with the loader on, I just have to remember not to take the deck off.

I had a Kubota BX before my JD 2025r and I love the auto connect compared to dragging the deck out from under the Kubota.

Last edited: