Dog & cat question

/ Dog & cat question #1  

Pilot

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 770, Yanmar 180D, JD 420 (not running), had a Kubota B6200
We have a 13 year old fat cat, too fat to jump very high. After spending 36 hours treed by a coyote, he has been an in house cat only. Wife says he's the best cat we've ever had (I say second best), so she doesn't want to let him out to become coyote food.

Want to get a golden retriever--best breed there is.

We don't really have any good places in the house for cat food that a dog couldn't get to.

Any suggestions on rigging something where the cat can get to his food but the dog can't?

/ Dog & cat question #2  
We have two dogs that can't be fed at the same time without fighting. They get fed at the same time. One outside the house, one inside the house.

/ Dog & cat question #3  
If you have room, like a laundry room, that you can put child safety gate in the doorway, you could put a cat-sized pet door in the gate. I was going to say on top of the frig, that seems to be a cat favorite, but you said the cat can't jump very high. :laughing:

/ Dog & cat question #4  
Maybe one of the covered litter boxes with a small entrance hole ? Just put kitty's food and water inside...just a thought

Rich

/ Dog & cat question #5  
I built a table for my out door cats to eat on. It is about 4 feet high and sits outside the non moving part of a patio door. We can watch the cats eat and drive off the strays.

Make yours tall enough so the puppy can not easily jump on it. If you teach the dog it is off limits as a puppy you should not have any problem. Add a ramp along the wall for the cat to walk up if it can't jump.

/ Dog & cat question #6  
If you buy a pup the cat is probably going to swat the pup around a few times to show who is boss hog.

/ Dog & cat question #7  
If you buy a pup the cat is probably going to swat the pup around a few times to show who is boss hog.

Yeah, it's quite possible the cat ain't going to take too kindly to this intruder. They usually come to terms, the cat's terms :laughing:

/ Dog & cat question #8  
Install a cat door.....laundry room, spare bathroom etc....... Cat will use.....dog will wonder where the cat went???

/ Dog & cat question #9  
Install a cat door.....laundry room, spare bathroom etc....... Cat will use.....dog will wonder where the cat went???

Yep this is what we did except the dogs know where the cat goes, but they also know they ain't fitting through that tiny door.

/ Dog & cat question #10  
If you train the dog (bawl them out when they raid the cat food), a good dog will leave it alone. My wife swore the dogs would kill the cat but with a bit of teaching, they get along just fine. The dogs know that creatures inside the house are our friends and are to be protected.