Dog help needed

/ Dog help needed #1  

s1120

Veteran Member
Tractor
87 Ingersoll 444, 84 Ingersoll224/'44 GreavlyL/60'sGreavlyL/49 Ford 8N
OK guys, I am at my wits end. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif We have three dogs, two are 11, and one is 13. I have a big problem. They will not sleep! The two younger ones wake up at between 1-4 am EVERY morning. It is not like they HAVE to go out. May take a quick leak, and run right back inside. If they go back to sleep they are up agean within an hour or two. I can't take it much longer. I need to get SOME sleep. What can I do? Any tips for me? Anyone want a few dogs? HELP!!! /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ Dog help needed #2  
Mine is good at holding himself for 10-12 hours.....and I don't need anymore right now /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
I've been home with him for the last 6 weeks, mostly all day due to my health. He just waits on me to get up out of bed for good....not just a pee break at 4AM.

/ Dog help needed #3  
Get a dog door and they can let themselves out. They have some pretty sophisticated ones that have weather seals and electronic locks. When the dog walks near it, it detects a device that is on the dog's collar and unlocks the door.

/ Dog help needed #5  
<font color="blue"> "wake up at between 1-4 am EVERY morning...take a quick leak...go back to sleep...up again within an hour or two" </font>

Heck, that pretty much mirrors my life anymore. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

/ Dog help needed #6  
this is why it is 12:32 AM and I am reading this.... Molly just decided that she wanted to go out, but since she has pups I assume that it is because of the extra load being put on her body. I have found that if I ignore the dogs, that they will go back to sleep unless they actually need to go out then. If that is the case, you either let them out or clean up the mess. As dogs get older, they do develop some bladder control issues and your veterinarian can give you some medication to help with the problem. I know from experience that Dexitrim without caffeine has some product in it that will also help. This is what my vet recommended originally before the pharmaceutical industry came out with a product for dogs. The other solution is to make sure that you tire them out during the day... if they sleep all day, they won't sleep through the night....

/ Dog help needed #7  
Kick their butts out at night and let them back in in the morning.

/ Dog help needed
Well, it's 3:20 am and hear I am. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif These dogs are also good to go a good 10 hours. I have no idea what there problem is, other than they want to be a PITA. Don't realy want them out all the time. They tend to be barkers, and the two younger ones are part Beagle, and like to dig. Almost like they need some doggy downers. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Dog help needed #9  
<font color="blue"> ...The other solution is to make sure that you tire them out during the day... if they sleep all day, they won't sleep through the night....
</font>
I don't have that problem. My Great Dane (all 216 lbs. of him)sleeps all day and all night. He will often wait a couple of hours after we get up before he wants to go out. However when he decides to go, it is a significant event.

/ Dog help needed #10  
Play with or exercise them just before you turn in for the night. Tire them out, and with older dogs that won't take long. When the come back inside make sure the water bowl is not full -- just enough to take the edge off and let them sleep.

Another thought is that the problem might not be entirely with them. When you get up to let them out, can you hear other dogs barking in the distance? Harley, our latest rescue, hears the hound down in the valley, so we leave a radio on downstairs just loud enough to drown out those distracting howls.

Pete