Dogs.

/ Dogs. #21  
Nothing better than a big sweetheart dog. It is easy to look at a dog that is big and claim it is "Vicious." But is simply is not true. Puppies, like baby people are not born "vicious." They all form based external circumstances with the exception of a very small percentage of mental problems. Maybe, every once in a while a dog may be a mental issue.
But, if someone put me outside in the snow and ice without food on a chain and beat me, then they better not close their eyes around me because I would be a "Mental Issue" and their axxss would be grass. ha.

In thinking of animals and size, I was talking to someone who rode horses all her life. (I don't know much about horses). I mentioned - most horses are really big. It is amazing they let anyone ride them. She told me "Oh no, because of the size and shape of their eyes, they see everything magnified about 8 times. They see us as very big. Interesting.
Well said.
This is a post which is too good for a "like" button.
I would like to take it one step further and say that anybody who takes a pet out and dumps it deserves to be taken out on a less desirable street in one of the big cities and "dumped" to survive there on their own.

/ Dogs. #23  
I'm shocked at some of the prices some of you are paying shelters for a rescue dog. Maybe it's just this part of the country, IDK, but the last two we've gotten were $100 which included health check, all shots, chip, spaying or neutering, and a bad of food. And no - our shelter does not have an overflow of cats & dogs. They have quick turnover except for a group of pit bull dogs.

On the other hand, I'm also shocked at the prices breeders are asking for dogs AND cats. Our last cat we picked up for free at the local feed store, which also included a carry cage, turned out to be a Maine Coon. Greatest cat we've ever had. It finally had to be put down due to falling out of a 40' tree and breaking its back. I started looking for another one and discovered that breeders are asking well over $2000 for them. That, I won't pay. Great breed, but not worth $2000 - $3000 to me.

/ Dogs. #24  
I'm shocked at some of the prices some of you are paying shelters for a rescue dog. Maybe it's just this part of the country, IDK, but the last two we've gotten were $100 which included health check, all shots, chip, spaying or neutering, and a bad of food. And no - our shelter does not have an overflow of cats & dogs. They have quick turnover except for a group of pit bull dogs.

On the other hand, I'm also shocked at the prices breeders are asking for dogs AND cats. Our last cat we picked up for free at the local feed store, which also included a carry cage, turned out to be a Maine Coon. Greatest cat we've ever had. It finally had to be put down due to falling out of a 40' tree and breaking its back. I started looking for another one and discovered that breeders are asking well over $2000 for them. That, I won't pay. Great breed, but not worth $2000 - $3000 to me.
I've got some free cats for you. Shipping is extra.

/ Dogs. #25  

That 2-3K is a range for a Brittany from a breeder also. Too much for me. But then, would be happy with any Brittany registered or not. I do think most tax funded animal shelters are less cost. Sometimes maybe $100 or on a promotion day sometimes only $20. But independent 501C3 organizations do attempt to recover costs of all the expenses. Some dogs require little other than spaying and shots, while others undergo treatments and operations to be available for adoption. I also don't think I have to pay $350 to get a Brittany, but unlike a shelter, one from these organization has a behavioral profile and have been fostered to insure information about health, habits and behavior. I don't think I could ever find a Brittany at a shelter. Most shelters know they can call services like NBRAN and not need to take another action.

One time NBRAN sent me to pick up a dog at a local shelter here. While there (signing release papers), I asked - Hey, if someone surrenders a purebred Brittany, registered complete with papers, how long do you keep them for adoption. The answer - Any dog has 3 days. That is all. That is why many shelters attempt to move the dog to other services. I am glad they do that.

As far as adopting bird dogs, there is another problem. The high prices that you mention have another outcome. I have to believe that if someone has money to buy 2 or 3 Brittanies for $2000 - $5000 each - they may have expectations that the dog may not be able to fulfill. THEN the dog goes to a county shelter to get rid of it. OR dumped in the country. Worse than that, if the person who paid that money returns it to the breeder, it will be most likely disposed of, no longer an asset but a liability. When adopting out a dog, that is one reason for the home visit. It is ok to adopt for hunting, but what do they plan if the dog will not be a good hunter. Will it honor, point and retrieve.

I also WOULD not pay that kind of money for a pet. As stated in another post, a $25 pet can be the best we have ever had, just as the Maine Coon you got. Good post Gem99 - I wonder - if I paid $5k for a dog or cat, would I have to watch it like my 5K trailer that I put a GPS on it and insure it against theft? I would if I could get the bank to finance a 5k Brittany with $50 down. Ha

/ Dogs. #26  
I guess we all may have different beliefs about dogs. I have always had a dog. I am old and so is my dog now. But I cannot imagine being without a dog. I only get rescue dogs. I believe dogs remember things like bad treatment. With time in the beginning, they will learn, and love their new home and relationship. I have had trained bird dogs in the past. There is no assurance that they have not been mistreated by the handler. As a matter two of them have been trained. The one below, Lulu (the Brittany I have now) was trained. Then she was turned over to the dog pound because she was mishandled and because of that, afraid of men - and then would not hunt. The first time NBRAN brought her to the house, she would not come near me. Hid from me. She has the absolute best nose I have ever seen.

This is how she was when we got her. This is her box. She ate one a day.

View attachment 717821

She has had a busy day!

View attachment 717822

I told my wife - That damn dog is going to eat our furniture. I was afraid she would eat the interior of my jeep, so I bought a small create to put in the car. We learned to keep the closets closed if we wanted to keep our shoes.

But she was very smart, she learned very quickly. This is her today. She still chews, but only on her toys. She is very good, I say get into truck, she jumps into truck, stay, she moves away from gate. And many others. Only by giving her time. She is with me all the time, every where. I can't pee without her following me. And remember, was one of the best POOR behaving dogs I have ever had - and was breed and trained to hunt. Then given up as a lost cause. Any dog, in the beginning, will be some work. But the payback is immeasurable.

View attachment 717830

View attachment 717831
I am also fond of spaniels. I have a rescue springer that is the finest field bred English springer I have ever met in my life, and she is far from my first. Her first owner died, then a botched spay job left her with urinary incontinence. She was stuffed in a kennel and neglected for three years before being fostered by ESRA. I took a chance on her. A prescription for Proin cured her incontinence, and moving into the house was a joy for her. It took about a year to teach her boundaries, but now she sticks to our acreage. She's a great pheasant dog, works the brush lines close, and kicks up the birds, then runs down cripples with her nose and retrieves to hand. In the house she is sweet and affectionate. I have had bird dogs for almost 50 years, and she is the best. She'll probably be my last bird dog, and it's great to go out on a high.

She has some idiosyncrasies. She is so protective that I have to wonder if she was trained as a guard dog. She does not trust strangers, and at a toned 54 lbs (big springer) I think she would attack an intruder. As soon as guests are introduced, she becomes sweet and affectionate. She does not like being barked at. A shouted command is an ignored command, but she will do anything for love. People comment on how well behaved she is, but some behavior will really trigger an "up yours" from her.

This is a portrait of our pack, all rescues. The springer is 8, the dachshund is 15, the poodle is 4, and the mutt is 11. The wife is 74. I'm training the poodle as a truffle dog. The little dogs are just pets.

pack portrait.jpg

/ Dogs. #27  
From my own experience, the "south" treats their domesticated "pets" like crap vs the "north" for what ever reason.

I'm in NC, and the amount of "pets" euthanized in county animal shelters in our state is atrocious.

Did a quick web search, need to look more into it, but Georgia is up there per putting dogs down...

More recent data per my own state...

I always love the term "put to sleep"...

/ Dogs. #28  
I am also fond of spaniels. I have a rescue springer that is the finest field bred English springer I have ever met in my life, and she is far from my first. Her first owner died, then a botched spay job left her with urinary incontinence. She was stuffed in a kennel and neglected for three years before being fostered by ESRA. I took a chance on her. A prescription for Proin cured her incontinence, and moving into the house was a joy for her. It took about a year to teach her boundaries, but now she sticks to our acreage. She's a great pheasant dog, works the brush lines close, and kicks up the birds, then runs down cripples with her nose and retrieves to hand. In the house she is sweet and affectionate. I have had bird dogs for almost 50 years, and she is the best. She'll probably be my last bird dog, and it's great to go out on a high.

She has some idiosyncrasies. She is so protective that I have to wonder if she was trained as a guard dog. She does not trust strangers, and at a toned 54 lbs (big springer) I think she would attack an intruder. As soon as guests are introduced, she becomes sweet and affectionate. She does not like being barked at. A shouted command is an ignored command, but she will do anything for love. People comment on how well behaved she is, but some behavior will really trigger an "up yours" from her.

This is a portrait of our pack, all rescues. The springer is 8, the dachshund is 15, the poodle is 4, and the mutt is 11. The wife is 74. I'm training the poodle as a truffle dog. The little dogs are just pets.
Nice picture. And a new life for a greatful dog doing what it likes. That is great. Sounds like your Springer LOVES bird work. The dachshund is getting up there in years. My last Brittany was almost 17. Hope yours makes it to longer than ever. I have thought a lot about having another dog. I just can't imagine not having one. We talk to our dog more that we think. I talk to Lulu all the time. The funny part it I think she understands me all the time.

I understand their desire to be by your side. Sometimes when we yell at our dog, I think they ignore us because "I will do it in a minute - I smell something over here and I'll check it out". I do know that when the do finally come - you can't hardly yell at them - or they will take longer next time. I always say Lulu is a good girl. ha. My wife is 20yrs younger that I and I am 77. I will try real hard to see if I can get her to help with the dog if I am still here to lose Lulu..Best wishes to you and your family. Larry

/ Dogs. #29  
From my own experience, the "south" treats their domesticated "pets" like crap vs the "north" for what ever reason.

I'm in NC, and the amount of "pets" euthanized in county animal shelters in our state is atrocious.

Did a quick web search, need to look more into it, but Georgia is up there per putting dogs down...

More recent data per my own state...

I always love the term "put to sleep"...
That's supposed to make us feel better. I read an article about a vet who worked in a shelter. "The screams and yells as they go into the smell of death."
Wasn't very pleasant - sure not sleep.

/ Dogs. #30  
That's supposed to make us feel better. I read an article about a vet who worked in a shelter. "The screams and yells as they go into the smell of death."
Wasn't very pleasant - sure not sleep.
The reason why we got involved in our own county was because they (the county) would take the dogs to the landfill and gas 10-20 at a time in the box. There were some videos of it, and it wasn't pretty. We couldn't believe it. Seriously, there was a lawsuit to stop this practice in our county.

Our county decades later now has an actual animal shelter, and they are getting better as far as putting dogs down more humanely, but we still have a long way to go.

We consider a dog mans best friend, but in a lot of instances, we are far from a dogs best friend.