Dolmar 5105

/ Dolmar 5105
The new saws in warehouse are PS-7910.The bar length available are 24",28",30",32".I have priced the saw in a 24" bar and chain.This is a new saw.$1013.11.This price includes Missouri state sales tax of $59.37.

/ Dolmar 5105 #12  
That is Dolmar's big saw now. the PS9010 was discontinued. I have a customer that will put his PS-7900 with 24 up against anybody with a Stihl MS660 any day of the week.

/ Dolmar 5105 #13  
That is Dolmar's big saw now. the PS9010 was discontinued. I have a customer that will put his PS-7900 with 24 up against anybody with a Stihl MS660 any day of the week.

What mods has he done to the 7900?? Cause stock for stock.....there's no replacement for displacement. The 660 is no slouch. But it is also much bigger and heavier. Thats what makes the 7900 great. It isnt raw power, but power to weight ratio:thumbsup:

/ Dolmar 5105 #14  
The method he is probablly talking about is cutting the wedge out. Then before starting the back cut, plunge cutting up inside the wedge to get out the heartwood. And I dont like that either.

Here's a real good video of that technique, I found it interesting, but a longer bar would have been a lot faster.

Forestry in Sweden 2 - YouTube

/ Dolmar 5105 #15  
Yea that is a good video to sho the technique and how it is possible. And that technique is JUST fine for logging if that is the plan.

BUT....If you are just cutting it for firewood, you really need a bigger bar. Otherwise, how do you cut peices off for the first 20' of the log??

/ Dolmar 5105 #16  
What mods has he done to the 7900?? Cause stock for stock.....there's no replacement for displacement. The 660 is no slouch. But it is also much bigger and heavier. Thats what makes the 7900 great. It isnt raw power, but power to weight ratio:thumbsup:

Saw is 100% stock. I have done all the maintenance since I sold it. Do all of his chain sharpening. I have personally put this saw through a 20 inch seasoned red oak log in 8 seconds. I have also run the PS-9010/Solo 694, and this saw is three times faster than either one of them.

I have seen this saw cut 2 inches deep in the time it takes to think about taking your finger off the trigger. The only complained the customer has had with this saw over the last 5 years, and like 60 gallon of gas through it is "It cuts too fast".

/ Dolmar 5105 #17  
Yea that is a good video to sho the technique and how it is possible. And that technique is JUST fine for logging if that is the plan.

BUT....If you are just cutting it for firewood, you really need a bigger bar. Otherwise, how do you cut peices off for the first 20' of the log??

That's where the real pain is. Fortunately I never had to but I seldom ventured into the woods with anything longer than a 20" bar if oaks were being harvested that day. That would handle just about any tree I came up against including a 50" wolf oak tree that was in the middle of this 200 acre site we were once logging.Its primary limbs were over 24" and just that was a pain to clear the stem (which fortunately was very short) . But on the turn I asked for the operator that day to bring up a 36" bar to do the rest and that was minimal cutting just so the skidder could land it. Not on your life would I attempt to cut up this tree with the saw I dropped it with.

/ Dolmar 5105 #18  
Here's a real good video of that technique, I found it interesting, but a longer bar would have been a lot faster.

Forestry in Sweden 2 - YouTube

If this guy is a "professional" he needs to think of getting a new career. One chainsaw? Refuses to buy another? Won't jump to an 18" bar at least? If anyone showed up to work with a 346 with a 16" bar (then it was a 246) to work on site and it was the only saw he had, he'd be summarily dismissed. He can't be a professional but they were sure cutting trees like they were. Could anybody hear a skidder in the background?

/ Dolmar 5105 #19  
Saw is 100% stock. I have done all the maintenance since I sold it. Do all of his chain sharpening. I have personally put this saw through a 20 inch seasoned red oak log in 8 seconds. I have also run the PS-9010/Solo 694, and this saw is three times faster than either one of them.

I have seen this saw cut 2 inches deep in the time it takes to think about taking your finger off the trigger. The only complained the customer has had with this saw over the last 5 years, and like 60 gallon of gas through it is "It cuts too fast".

Im not going to say you are full or it, but that is certainly somehting I would have to see to believe. Especially a STOCK 7900 going through 20" SEASONED oak in 8 seconds.

/ Dolmar 5105 #20  
I'm a Stihl man myself, but would love to get my hands on a Dolmar for a try. I really like the looks and reviews on their saws. Dolmar is the only other saw brand that I would be willing to spend my hard earned $$ on.