Don't You Hate !!!

/ Don't You Hate !!! #1  

FredH

Platinum Member
Tractor
N.H. TC-30
Being within about 2 or 3 minutes of welding in finishing a project and WTF !!!! Welder not feeding wire ? Open side door and CR*P !! Spool is empty !!

All I needed to do was finish welding on a latch and a couple of pieces of chain on a new leaf box I built for this fall .

Use to use a 4 way hardwood pallet with plywood floor , sides and back with a 2x4 frame but dang thing was super heavy . So bought 120' of 1/2 x 1/2 x .065 tubing , 2 sheets of 24 gauge sheet steel , a sheet of expanded metal ( 1" opening ) , 10' of 2" x 2" tubing and a piece of 3" x 4" for the clamp on forks to slide into . The 3" x 4" is cut into 8 pieces with 1 piece welded to the 2" x 2" on the 3" side then the other piece is welded under that on the 4 " side . Basically I used 1 piece in each corner has a spacer to get frame high enough to clear the clamp / bolt area of the forks and to fit back into the bucket of the FEL .

Will add pictures but Cr*p , batteries were dead in the camera and I already went to town once for more .035 wire .

Fred H.

/ Don't You Hate !!! #2  
That's what my industry would call inventory control issues. I feel your pain because at work I always have at least 2 weeks worth of inventory for any task or orderm but at home I'm constantly running into the same thing like what happened to you.

For me it's always carb cleaner. I should learn to just keep an extra can on hand at all times. When I throw the one away and start using the spare, I should go buy a new spare.

/ Don't You Hate !!!
That is how one of my brothers operate . He has 2 or more of just about any consumable for anything , including bee/wasp spray , which he always keep about a case worth at the shop and at home . He no like bee's or wasp . He now also has 2 tanks for his Miller 212 , since I never used mine , ( I have always used flux core ) , I gave it to him . So when he empties the one , he can switch and keep going . Not having to " run to town for a refill " has saved him some time over these past few months .

Like they say though , " Us Younger , Dumber siblings just never learn " .:thumbsup:

Fred H.

/ Don't You Hate !!! #4  
I try to keep an extra spool on hand at all times. Since I'll us it sooner or later anyway! ~~ grnspot

/ Don't You Hate !!! #5  
We just have a buzz box lincoln ac 225 and it is nice because when you change the rod you always find out how many rods you have left. We hardly ever use it though because we have to unplug the chothes dryer and run out a 20 foot extension cord through the basement out to the garage. (oh how nice it will be when we wire our shop with 220v):cloud9:

/ Don't You Hate !!! #6  
For me it's always carb cleaner. I should learn to just keep an extra can on hand at all times. When I throw the one away and start using the spare, I should go buy a new spare.

I buy a half-dozen cans of carb cleaner at a whack. Same goes for brake cleaner and engine degreaser. I'll generally grab a display box or two, and set up my garage shelves like a store display.

Of course, even with all of that, I still mysteriously run out all the time.....grrrrr. Must kill boy.

JayC

/ Don't You Hate !!! #7  
I'd rather run out of wire than find out the previous user ran out of tips. I struck an arc this weekend and thought I slagged the tip. Took the gas shroud off and found the last user had removed the tip. If they'd have left the gas shroud off, I would've caught it. Turns out the threads in the torch were shot now. I don't know if my first arc did that, or if that's why they didn't have a tip on it... Two hours later, I finished my welding. Did I mention it was about a two inch long bead only? slowest weld job ever :laughing:

/ Don't You Hate !!! #8  
I've notice I always run out of wire at the start of a new pass when you're halfway up on the bevel down inside the tubb of a dragline or up on the boom point and heat retention and post cooling are critical.

I sure wish murphy wouldn't apply his stupid law to my job.

About the only way to prevent it is to check before you start and make sure you have enough in the feeder or a spare roll on the shelf. I always get frustrated and flustered and end up making what seems like a dozen trips into town because I keep forgeting to remind myself about not forgetting what I needed.

Yup brother I hate it too.