Door freezing shut

/ Door freezing shut #11  
I do the dry silicone spray after wiping the moisture off. Winters here are constantly fluctuating around freezing with rain and snow mixed in so things get very wet and freezing.

/ Door freezing shut #12  
If it were an emergency - I can always go out a bedroom window on the lea side of the house.

/ Door freezing shut
Two days ago we had strong winds. I thought it was just wind until I went outside. The metal house door had frozen shut - likewise the pickup. There was moisture/rain along with the wind. Time solved the house door - remote start got me into the pickup.

I know I've had freezing rain here - many times. This last time it must have been the direction the wind was blowing. Everything outside had a coat of ice on it. The porch was particularly exciting.

Yes. It generally happens to me when it is significantly below freezing and there is a good wind. The door faces north which is good in that it gets less direct wind on it, but bad in that it gets less sunlight to help thaw things out.

Leave the door open when below freezing.
Lol I do not live that far from you. I am sure SWMBO would love to have snow and/or freezing rain blowing into her barn all night!

/ Door freezing shut #14  
I had that problem when I lived in 419. Solved it by moving to 408. Can't say I've ever missed those winters

/ Door freezing shut #15  
The human access door on my wife's horse barn is freezing shut. This AM I really had to put my shoulder into it to get it to open. Any suggestions on how to stop it?

It seems WD-40 would work but wouldn't that degrade the rubber seal around the door?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks for any ideas.
Bear with me.

When I bought my ice fishing shanty I took it out for a test run in about 0 degree temps. I sat inside, with the propane lantern running and my breath condensing. Propane gives off water vapor as well. I noticed a large frost buildup on the ceiling and thought nothing of it.

Around 10:00pm, I went to leave, and found the metal zippers frozen shut. I could not get out. I looked out the windows and saw the cottage lights on shore going out one by one. I started wondering if I was going to have to cut my way out of my brand new shelter. I ended up taking the metal lid off the lantern, heating it up, touching to the zipper, melt the frost, inch the zipper, repeat, until I got out.

Went home and looked up "Frozen zipper on ice tent" and found links to ZIPPER WAX. Apparently that's common knowledge to those that have ever had a zipper freeze shut.

It comes in stick form. You apply it like a crayon. I'd guess that it would work if applied to the metal surfaces that your rubber seal is sealing against if that's the case. It's lasted me a few years between applications on my zipper.

It might work for you, it might not, but it might be worth a try to just take an old candle and rub down the metal where your rubber seal hits and see if that does anything.

Good luck.

/ Door freezing shut #16  
Bear with me.

When I bought my ice fishing shanty I took it out for a test run in about 0 degree temps. I sat inside, with the propane lantern running and my breath condensing. Propane gives off water vapor as well. I noticed a large frost buildup on the ceiling and thought nothing of it.

Around 10:00pm, I went to leave, and found the metal zippers frozen shut. I could not get out. I looked out the windows and saw the cottage lights on shore going out one by one. I started wondering if I was going to have to cut my way out of my brand new shelter. I ended up taking the metal lid off the lantern, heating it up, touching to the zipper, melt the frost, inch the zipper, repeat, until I got out.

Went home and looked up "Frozen zipper on ice tent" and found links to ZIPPER WAX. Apparently that's common knowledge to those that have ever had a zipper freeze shut.

It comes in stick form. You apply it like a crayon. I'd guess that it would work if applied to the metal surfaces that your rubber seal is sealing against if that's the case. It's lasted me a few years between applications on my zipper.

It might work for you, it might not, but it might be worth a try to just take an old candle and rub down the metal where your rubber seal hits and see if that does anything.

Good luck.
Candles have been a trick for years to keep zippers working. Another thing which works is a bar of Ivory soap.