Door freezing shut

/ Door freezing shut #1  

TheMan419

Veteran Member
Tractor
New Holland Boomer 24
The human access door on my wife's horse barn is freezing shut. This AM I really had to put my shoulder into it to get it to open. Any suggestions on how to stop it?

It seems WD-40 would work but wouldn't that degrade the rubber seal around the door?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks for any ideas.

/ Door freezing shut #2  
Figure out how and where the water is coming from causing the freezing a take measures to stop it so it don't freeze.

/ Door freezing shut #5  
I too use silicone on the car door seals, bottom garage door seal, and the snow plow surface.

/ Door freezing shut #6  
Is it freezing, or is the frame heaving from the frost? If the first I would try to figure out why it's getting wet. (Condensation?)

/ Door freezing shut #7  
As has been mentioned why is it freezing?
Is it getting water in the joints or just swelling and sticking.
On tractor and truck doors I use a good silicone lube.
On wooden doors and frames I'll often use wax, canfdle stubs work good.

/ Door freezing shut #8  
Two days ago we had strong winds. I thought it was just wind until I went outside. The metal house door had frozen shut - likewise the pickup. There was moisture/rain along with the wind. Time solved the house door - remote start got me into the pickup.

I know I've had freezing rain here - many times. This last time it must have been the direction the wind was blowing. Everything outside had a coat of ice on it. The porch was particularly exciting.

/ Door freezing shut #9  
While silicone is a good water repellent, if it gets on painted surfaces, it also repels paint!