dot numbers for those under 26000lbs

/ dot numbers for those under 26000lbs #1  

radioman

Tractor
Kubota BX24
guys - i bought a ram promaster with Gross vehicle weight rating 8,550 to 9,350 lbs . my registration says 7k weight. I want to tow my 16ft dual axle trailer for work and trailer is rated for 7k gross. I guessing with this combination, ill be over the fmcsa dot weight rating system of 10,001 lbs.

Besides registering for the dot numbers what else do i need to do? do i need a medical card? do i really need to keep a log book for every mile i drive? anything you guys can throw at me would be good. I dont ever plan on being over 26001 lbs so you guys can relax on me needing to get a cdl lincense. is there anything i need to carry in the van as part of dot requirements?

let me tell you -- the fmcsa website , in my opinion is giving me a headache. i'm hoping to hear from the seasoned tbn'ers what they know in plain english. :eek:

/ dot numbers for those under 26000lbs #2  
You do not need DOT registration with this setup, as You are under 26,001. (Unless you are crossing state lines)

/ dot numbers for those under 26000lbs #3  
guys - i bought a ram promaster with Gross vehicle weight rating 8,550 to 9,350 lbs . my registration says 7k weight. I want to tow my 16ft dual axle trailer for work and trailer is rated for 7k gross. I guessing with this combination, ill be over the fmcsa dot weight rating system of 10,001 lbs.

Besides registering for the dot numbers what else do i need to do? do i need a medical card? do i really need to keep a log book for every mile i drive? anything you guys can throw at me would be good. I dont ever plan on being over 26001 lbs so you guys can relax on me needing to get a cdl lincense. is there anything i need to carry in the van as part of dot requirements?

let me tell you -- the fmcsa website , in my opinion is giving me a headache. i'm hoping to hear from the seasoned tbn'ers what they know in plain english. :eek:
Go to this thread that I started will give you the info you need {is this the law] in rural living

/ dot numbers for those under 26000lbs #4  
Both your truck & trailer and you (DOT health card) are exempt. Just an FYI, if stopped by DOT the GVW is that posted on the manufacturers nameplate, not that which is on the registration.

/ dot numbers for those under 26000lbs
according to DOT fmcsa website:

Question 11: A company has a truck with a GVWR under 10,001 pounds towing a trailer with a GVWR under 10,001 pounds. However, the GVWR of the truck added to the GVWR of the trailer is greater than 10,001 pounds. Would the company operating this vehicle in interstate commerce have to comply with the FMCSRs?

Guidance: §390.5 of the FMCSRs includes in the definition of CMV a vehicle with a GVWR or GCWR of 10,001 or more pounds. The section further defines GCWR as the value specified by the manufacturer as the loaded weight of a combination (articulated) vehicle. Therefore, if the GVWR of the truck added to the GVWR of the trailer exceeds 10,001 pounds, the driver and vehicle are subject to the FMCSRs.

I plan on traveling out of state at times with my trailer. the license plate is CMV.

/ dot numbers for those under 26000lbs #7  
if you cross state lines you need to follow the federal rules.

/ dot numbers for those under 26000lbs #8  
   / dot numbers for those under 26000lbs #9  
And generally, if your rigs aren't logo'd and lettered up so that they're obviously commercial, law enforcement isn't going to bother you.

/ dot numbers for those under 26000lbs
does anyone knows whats the federal rules are ?