Double post ignore

/ Double post ignore #1  

Sebculb

Gold Member
Tractor
'97 Deere 310D Backhoe
Hey everbuddy,

So I gotta build some generic metal storage shelves. Probably 1" square by 1/16" thick wall tubing. If I wanted it done fast and right (like for a client) I'd just stick weld it. But I'm still trying to learn how to use my new torch kit better and I can get a lot of good practice doing non-critical jobs like this.

Sooo, for those with oxy torch experience, should I just keep welding it using acetylene and concrete tie wire as filler rod? Or should I consider brazing it with bronze and perhaps hook up a propane tank to save money on acetylene (acetylene is very expensive here) and also just practice with all the different options?

Why flux covered brazing rod? I've been using soldering paste with a tooth brush on the few things I've brazed and it "tinned" and stuck fine. Been genuinely surprised at how strong brazed joints are.

Would brazing like this be strong enough for butt joints on utility shelves? This tubing isn't hot dipped galvanized, it's like the thinner zinc anodized coating and welds fine with no extra prep. Does anyone know if bronze will stick to it also?

Thanks!