Double Ring tire chains

/ Double Ring tire chains #12  
I woul think that the v-bar chains grip better on ice than the rings, because of the sharp edges of the v's.

I agree, but a plain pattern duo would be similiar. I just always thought the round rings would slide sideways to easily.

/ Double Ring tire chains
Well thanks for everyone's replies, definitely some food for thought! Good to hear the double rings are tried and true technology, I'd never seen them before I found that website.

/ Double Ring tire chains
Problem solved: can't be picky when you find a set of used Duo-grips for 2/3 price over new and only 10min from home!

Put them on yesterday, seemed to grip pretty well without me needing to use the diff lock on yesterday's melted mud over frozen ground. D*mn its a rough ride on hard/frozen surfaces tho! :p

Only 8 cross sections instead of tirechain.com's quoted "11" but for what i'm doing will probably be fine (after I get some proper weight on the back, and i order a set of tensioners; those cross sections are still awful sloppy) Worst case, i figure I can always order a bunch of double ring cross links next year and add them in between the existing sections to get the best of both worlds ;)

Thanks again for the replies!
Dan

Last edited:
   / Double Ring tire chains #15  
Field Test from north central WA 20 miles from the Canadian border. I have a 4600 Ford with R1 tires and double ring chains from Tirechains.com. This year we have had snow on the ground in some form since October. We have had 6 partial melt outs with refreezing since then. Basically we've got laminated ice that is like glass. Diamond pattern cross chains on a 4wd dodge with studded tires barely grip and hardly leave a mark.

Needed to try and move the tractor so I can get some hog food in, did I mention we've had snow and ice since the beginning of October? There is a slope from the pad I leave the tractor on. As I headed down I began to slide, NO GRIP AT ALL. I had a berm that had melted out to the north that I was able to steer to and that kept me from sliding down to the pine tree that would have stopped me otherwise. Once I got on the flat things were still not good. I will work things out with bags of deicer but this seriously sucks.

Those chains have worked well for me for the past 12 winters. This year's ice conditions are beyond the pale. If you live in an area that is capable of generating ice like the stuff I'm dealing with and you are depending on your tractor you will not be able work with it and this style chain. Looks like I'll be buying a pair of diamond studded chains for conditions like these.

Not sure when we're going to see the end of the ice. Looks like we may warm up a bit next week but for now, it's been a very mild, pretty dry (we haven't even had enough decent snow to x country ski), painfully long, miserable winter for moving material on a farm.

Warning given, 'nough said.