Double v belt mower

/ Double v belt mower #1  

PistolPete

Tractor
John Deere X590
I’m looking at finish mowers, in particular the king kutter models. Seems like they have two versions, the RFM-72 and the RSFM-72, which has a double V belt. Anyone have info on why the double V would be better (and $400 better) than a regular belt?

/ Double v belt mower #2  
If this mower has a double V belt molded as one web belt it is stronger and more able to absorb and deflect shock loads from impacting heavy brush and grass loading.

The other benefit is the double V belt will last longer as long as you remove it in the off season and put it in a black garbage bag and seal it up to prevent ozone damaging the V belt.

/ Double v belt mower #3  
My MMM had a double V belt. It didn't last long, started to fling off large chunks of material. Nobody had the double V in stock in the length I needed. And they couldn't say when they'd get more. After asking a few of the suppliers and explaining the pulley layout, they agreed I could use two single belts. I went with those in Kevlar at less cost than one double V.

/ Double v belt mower #4  
If they are not made with the kevlar/aramid fiber they will not last long if they are poorly molded.

/ Double v belt mower #5  
The 120" double vee kevlar belt on my Kubota zero turn lasted 15+ years, 600+ hours.

/ Double v belt mower
Thanks guys. So generally I could expect a good double V to last longer than an equal quality single belt?

/ Double v belt mower #7  
As long as you know the web belt has kevlar in it, it will last a long time.
My single B43 V belt on my lawn genie is going on 9 years now