Dove Tail or Not?

/ Dove Tail or Not? #1  

megaboz

Platinum Member
Tractor
'17 2032r (soon)
I'm planning on buying a new trailer, any opinions on a dove-tail trailer or no dove-tail.

/ Dove Tail or Not? #2  
When I bought mine, I looked at a 16' trailer with out a dove tail, and what they call a 16+2, which is a 16' deck and a 2' dove tail. The one with out the dovetail had the rail around the side, but it sat lower. I bought the one with the dove tail because it had no rails around the edge, but it sits higher. I think they would both load as easy as the other, but I think the dove tail is needed on the one I bought because it sits higher.

So look at how high the trailer sits, how long the ramps are, and what you will be loading on it to see if you need a dove tail or not. I loaded a car on mine once, and it didn't drag, but without the dovetail it would have. My BX2350 doesn't come close to hitting anything on the way up the ramps, and I'm sure if I had bought the other trailer, it would have loaded fine also. The one with out the dovetail was also a little cheaper.

/ Dove Tail or Not? #3  
I have a non-dovetail car hauler. I went that route to get a little more clearance for backing up my parents' driveway. What I've found though, is that the ramps are a bit steep for my B2620 when I have something on the 3pt. My tiller will drag a bit on the way down. I don't think a belly mower or my RFM would have a chance.

If it's for your BX24, I think the dovetail would be the way to go.

/ Dove Tail or Not? #4  
Depends on what you are hauling and where you are hauling / driving. Dovetails can hang up on steep drives / approches / logging roads etc.

My 16 foot flat deck worked great, even with the belly mower. I have a B series. BXs might catch?

you'll get a split decision here...

A worth while trailer dealer can talk you through, the pros / cons if he knows what and where you are hauling.....

Good luck...

/ Dove Tail or Not?
Yea, this would be for my BX24 mainly. I actually had the BH get hung up when loading, took several minutes to figure out what was going on, but I finally figure it out. I was leaning towards the dove tail if the approach would be lower so that I would drag my tractor.

Thanks for the input.

/ Dove Tail or Not? #6  
Yea, this would be for my BX24 mainly. I actually had the BH get hung up when loading, took several minutes to figure out what was going on, but I finally figure it out. I was leaning towards the dove tail if the approach would be lower so that I would drag my tractor.

Thanks for the input.

The dove tail would help in that application. Or extend your ramps.

My dump trailer which sits very high came with 6 foot ramps. I am extending them to 8-9 feet to make the reduce the approach and crest angle.

The 6 foot ramps made loading a track bucket lift very hairy....

/ Dove Tail or Not? #7  
Depends on what you are hauling and where you are hauling / driving. Dovetails can hang up on steep drives / approches / logging roads etc.

My 16 foot flat deck worked great, even with the belly mower. I have a B series. BXs might catch?

you'll get a split decision here...

A worth while trailer dealer can talk you through, the pros / cons if he knows what and where you are hauling.....

Good luck...

Firefighter Kubota,

Hello, I also have a 16' trailer, it is something like 16x6.5 between the wheel wells. It has a rub rail and stake pockets on all sides and I built 2' wooden side pannels for it. I just bought my B7610 this past winter and had to drive it up on a bank and use 4x4 dunnage pilled up to load and unload the tractor with the MMM installed. It is a stout 2 axle trailer and I'd like to put some ramps on it. I was wondering what you have for ramps that hole up you B series tractor and could you send any pictures that might be helpful.

Thanks for your time.
Jim

/ Dove Tail or Not? #8  
Firefighter Kubota,

Hello, I also have a 16' trailer, it is something like 16x6.5 between the wheel wells. It has a rub rail and stake pockets on all sides and I built 2' wooden side pannels for it. I just bought my B7610 this past winter and had to drive it up on a bank and use 4x4 dunnage pilled up to load and unload the tractor with the MMM installed. It is a stout 2 axle trailer and I'd like to put some ramps on it. I was wondering what you have for ramps that hole up you B series tractor and could you send any pictures that might be helpful.

Thanks for your time.
Jim

Hey Jim,

I have since sold that trailer and now have 12 dump trailer.

I haven't tried to load the tractor with the mower yet, BUT I'm pretty sure it would hand up due to the height and the crest angle.

That being said, My current ramps and the ones from my 16 " old trailer are standard " equipment" trailer ramps. 3" C channel with 2" angle stock every 9" for treads. 12-16" wide, They can hook on or be hinged....

Most are 5- 6 feet long...I lengthened them to 8'

Here is a stock picture from superior trailes showing the ramps...

Or try these....

Folding Tractor Ramps

I have a set for my motorcycles but with a 3000# rating I have used them to overlap the trailer ramps to increase length and decrease angles

Let me know if you have any other questions...

Attachments

• superior trailer.jpg
    superior trailer.jpg
    202.6 KB · Views: 159
   / Dove Tail or Not? #9  
Firefighter Kubota,

Thanks for your time.
Jim

Hi Jim,

I'm in almost the exact same situation as you, except my trailer doesn't have rub rails. I too need ramps, and my solution, after pricing ramps capable of supporting my 4000lb tractor, I decided to learn to weld so I can build some. (Also, welding just sounds fun.)

So that's currently where I'm at.

/ Dove Tail or Not? #10  
i run a 20' with no dove-tail. my bx-24 goes off and on just fine with 6 foot ramps. works fine with mower and almost all 3pt implements i have tried it with as long as 3pt adjusted correctly.

i do three things to help out.

first, look at the lay of the land when loading and unloading. try to find the areas where the height of the back of the trailer is minimized.

second make sure the trailer is level when attached to the tow vehicle. this is just good towing setup procedure. you may need to purchase a drop down hitch or adjustable trailer coupler to get this right under different loading conditions and tongue weights. it is absolutely essential to have the trailer level with a tandem axle setup as this distributes the weight evenly over both axles.

if i still need a little extra help, use the tongue jack to slightly jack up the front of the trailer and rear of the tow vehicle. this brings the back end of the trailer further down and can give you the little extra you need under difficult loading and unloading conditions.

i opted for no dove-tail because i didn't want the clearance problems with the 20' trailer.

amp