DPF and Emission Controls vs Models

/ DPF and Emission Controls vs Models #1  

JWR

Elite Member
Tractor
MF 2660 LP, 3 Kubota B2150, Kubota BX2200, MH Pacer, Gravely 5660, etc.
Which Kubota models tractors have DPF filtering and which do not? Is there a list or simple tabular reference as to what models do and do not have DPF filtering -- both filtering and fluid requirements ?

I am hearing that 25.5HP is the threshold. What about BX2670 and 2670-1 for example that are so close to that threshold?

Is there a concise reference one could look at to determine which ones have these ? Does Tier IV and variations on the tier terminology tell you ?

/ DPF and Emission Controls vs Models #2  
It is my understanding that anything over the 26 HP has the DPF etc. Thus all the BX models and the 26 HP models of the "B" series and the L2501/L2502 don't have the DPF. Neither of my B2620 (2012) nor the B2650(2018) have the DPF etc.

I'm real happy about that!

Cheers,
Mike

/ DPF and Emission Controls vs Models #3  
Anything rated "26 horse" is under that and manufacturers just "round up" to 26 for marketing. They won't have dpf and will just sneak under that requirement. Then the next jump up in size is into the 33 horse range and they will have some kind of filter.

/ DPF and Emission Controls vs Models #4  
Stricter Tier IV off-road diesel engine emission reduction standards phased in dealer tractor inventory during 2009 - 2012, impacting tractor prices.

Tier IV emission standards require tractor manufacturers to add or revise pollution reduction technology on new tractors generating over 19 kW power = 25.4794 horsepower.

What about BX2670 and 2670-1 for example that are close to that threshold?
Some manufactures can meet Tier IV requirements without a Diesel Particulate Fillter on low engine displacement, relatively high rpm engines powering ~2,000~ pound bare weight tractors up to 27 horsepower.

Sufficient tractor weight is more important for most tractor applications than increased tractor horsepower.

DPF is used by the majority of tractor manufactures for emissions control on OVER 24.4794 horsepower tractors.
Tier IV technology complicates the engine and exhaust package and is a significant cost factor. Tier IV technology tractor emit only about 1% of the pollutants emitted by a pre-Tier IV tractor.

Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) captures exhaust particulates (soot) in a ceramic matrix. When tractor engine runs sufficiently hot, accumulated particulates burn off periodically without operator intervention. If engine is not run continuously hot long enough to burn off particulates, diesel soot accumulates in the matrix. Once heavy soot accumulates in DPF the tractor forces soot clearance with the tractor parked and throttle open to about 2,200 rpm for about sixteen minutes, which makes the DPF REALLY HOT to burn off all accumulated soot. Burning off accumulated soot, either during operation or parked is called REGENERATION.

Regeneration is an infrequent DPF event with my Kubota three cylinder, 37-horsepower engine. Generally once every sixty engine hours. (Very consistent in Florida due to warm weather.)

60 hours X 60 minutes = 3,600 minutes.

16 regeneration minutes /3,600 = .00444 = 4/10s of 1% of engine time is consumed during parked regeneration.

Fuel cost for sixteen minute parked regeneration @ 2,200 rpm ~~$1.00.

Forty percent of my regenerations occur during operation, sixty percent parked.

The average residential tractor operates eighty engine hours per year, according to industry surveys.

3,000 hours DPF Life / 80 hours = 37.5 years of residential use prior to DPF replacement.

Diesel Particulate Filter supersedes tractor muffler.
At some point in time DPF needs to be replaced.
At some point in time tractors with mufflers need the muffler replaced.

Last edited:
   / DPF and Emission Controls vs Models #5  

Kubota BX2670 Engine​

Kubota BX2670 tractor photo
2013 - 2014
BX70 Series
Compact Utility tractor
Engine Detail
Kubota D1005
diesel
3-cylinder
liquid-cooled
Displacement:61.1 ci
1.0 L
Bore/Stroke:3.00x2.90 inches
76 x 74 mm
Power (gross):25.5 hp
19.0 kW
Rated RPM:3200

Dimensions
Weight:1466 lbs
664 kg

Last edited:
   / DPF and Emission Controls vs Models #7  
When T5 comes in,even your push mower will have a cat on it.
That's why I do maintenance on all my current stuff far more than called for. It will last me the rest of my days, LOL

/ DPF and Emission Controls vs Models #9  
it's coming for sure. Interestingly, the last Echo chain saw I purchased had a Cat in the muffler which I was able to remove by buying an aftermarket one. The Echo pro saws don't have them but the 'homeowner' saws do I see T5 Interim then T5 final, just like before and NO diesel tractor will be exempt, no matter how low the power output is.

/ DPF and Emission Controls vs Models
EPA is the most out of control agency in government (and think what an extreme that is!) When they tightened the screws on small diesel cars 8 or 10 years ago those vehicles were contributing less than 1/10 of one % of the traffic pollution in the US. VW should have been given a whistleblower award for exposing the EPA and temporarily outsmarting them. Instead it cost VW north of $15billion. Appear to report to no one and throw on rules just because they get away with it. Maybe the 2024 election will put them under control??