DPF problems..

/ DPF problems.. #31  
The inherent issue is.... Most dealership service department really don't know how to service this EPA mandated stuff and don't want to send their techs to learn about how to. I know my Kubota dealer has invested considerable expense in sending their head tech to classes that Kubota puts on so he has the knowledge to fix them and I just happen to know him personally and his attitude about it is well... all of that stuff stinks.

I saw that scenario at the heavy truck dealership I retired from as well.
Why my 'vintage' Pre 3 tractors aren't going anywhere soon. if ever.

Anyone notice whenever a TBN member is having a bad issue with DPF or DEF, seems like the same few people show up and make them feel like crap for buying a tractor made after 2012?

It’s been 12 years on tractors and 16 on vehicles since the DPF became law.

Last edited:
   / DPF problems..
Well, I fired off a call to the Service Manager. He was busy so I left a message regarding the situation.

Meanwhile, (thanks for the advice btw) I called AGCO cares and spoke to a gentleman at CS who took all of the relevant information and is going to track down the appropriate rep and put him in touch with me. The CS gentleman asked alot of questions pertaining to the situation and did mention that after only 4 hours I shouldn't be having problems if it was properly repaired, so we shall see.

/ DPF problems..
I was looking at new tractors this morning, specifically the JD3025, which is about the same physical size and has similar capabilities to my 1734e, but with a 24hp engine to skirt the EPA garbage. But then I see Massey has the new 1825e, which I guess is competing with the JD. Same size as my 1734e but with a 24hp diesel so that you don't have to deal with emissions.

Part of me wants to just tell the sales manager to make me a trade offer on a new 1825e (sucks that I'll have to have a payment again, but lesson learned, buying a new tractor these days doesn't net you decades of service as in days of yore; e.g. Farmall, Ford 9n, ect.). But then the other, hurt and now vindictive side of me says I ain't giving AGCO another dime of my hard earned money.

I don't know, I'll wait and see how they handle this ordeal before I make any rash decisions.

/ DPF problems.. #34  
Anyone notice whenever a TBN member is having a bad issue with DPF or DEF, seems like the same few people show up and make them feel like crap for buying a tractor made after 2012?

It’s been 12 years on tractors and 16 on vehicles since the DPF became law.
Definitely. I think some people on here have statements saved as a copy and everytime they see a thread they just hit cntrl-v. Lol.

/ DPF problems..
Well, I called the service manager... again, as he never returned my intial call. He answered, so I guess he may have just 'overlooked' calling me back?! I mentioned to him that I had left a message a few hours ago, but got no response.

I told him who I was, and why I was calling. He did remember my machine and it's DPF issue. I told him that after four hours, it was again stuck in regen mode.

His response? "That's odd. Well, just bring it in."

Keeping my composure as best I could, I reiterated it had been FOUR HOURS. NEARLY THREE GRAND BOUGHT ME FOUR HOURS. I told him I was NOT bringing it in, as that costs me both time and money. I told him that I expected a tech at my farm to diagnose the problem at the earliest possible availability. He checked his schedule and had an opening for Wednesday. I'm working, so my wife will be standing by when the tech arrives.

He never mentioned cost. And I'm glad, because I'm not paying for the tech visit. End of story.

This guy, the "service manager" is in actuality, a younger kid (mid to late 20s?), if I recall correctly, who obviously doesn't have much in the way of customer service skills, frankly doesnt give a dang, and obviosuly takes no pride in his job. His tone and attitude spoke volumes on the phone. I felt like I was interrupting his Facebook time.

I cannot wait to speak with the Massey sales rep. He's gonna get an earful.

/ DPF problems..
With a CLEANED DPF, it should not request a regen at 4 hours.

Which begs the question, aside from flashing the computer, what did nearly three thousand dollars buy me? I'm questioning if they actually really installed new injectors, etc.

/ DPF problems.. #38  
Which begs the question, aside from flashing the computer, what did nearly three thousand dollars buy me? I'm questioning if they actually really installed new injectors, etc.
When I (rarely) take any machine in for repair, I always ask for the replaced parts on the service order. Does two things, insures the parts were replaced and gives me knowledge of the parts. I like to take stuff apart and sometimes the replaced part is useful for something else. The hood that was replaced by insurance was a dandy sled until I recycled it.

PS... I have been known to surreptitiously mark my parts to insure it was my part that was replaced and given to me.
"trust, but verify" : Said a POTUS

/ DPF problems.. #39  
Maybe a differential pressure sensor issue? That's what tells the ECM that the DPF needs a burn...

/ DPF problems..
J23 you have every reason to be seriously PO'd. In my experience AGCO will make it right if you hang in with them. I had a brand new tractor in 2011 that had a hideous laundry list of problems -- more than enough to justify any lemon law applicability! But eventually the dealer, the regional rep for AGCO and myself got it fixed -- made right. No buyer of a new tractor should ever have to go through that !! Anyway I expect AGCO will make it right.

Recommend that you get hold of your regional service rep ASAP. Stay on the best terms you can with your dealer. The dealer should gladly and cooperatively give you the contact info for the regional service rep. He is THE JUDGE and he has authority. His name back at the time of my horror story was Randy Kocher who operated out of south central Ohio. He has certainly moved on by now but ask "Who replaced Randy Kocher" and don't take no for an answer. Someone is in that position. There is a cluster of those AGCO/MF guys who end up with "equipment show duty" around the country. Unfortunately the Ohio Farm Science Review (held just west of Columbus) was a month ago. Whoever that is would almost certainly have been there and you could have captured him face to face. I know you are not just going to leap down there but AGCO / MF is exhibiting at the Sunbelt AG Expo in Mountrie.GA this week. Most shows later this fall are out west.

Anyway what you are after at this sad point is a compromise -- a settlement of some sort that cuts your dollar damages. Document your story well (as you pretty much have with us) and wade into AGCO asking for resolution. It may seem flimsy but the "AGCO Listens hotline" is a very decent place to start in parallel with finding the regional service rep !! Expect the dealer to be a player in all this but do not expect him to bear the brunt of it all. Good luck.
Well, JWR, good call on Mr. Kocher, he is still the regional rep!

He called me a little bit ago, and after speaking with him for a little while, I can see why you remembered him. Seems like a great guy, and from a customer's standpoint, quite an asset to AGCO.

Apparently, if I understood him correctly, he had already been involved with my machine while it was at the shop initially; he probably got involved while they were having problems diagnosing it.

At any rate, he had already spoken with the service manager previous to calling me, and confirmed that the tech will be at my place Wednesday. He agreed that the service department should have ran it and made sure everything was in order before sending it out the door.

At any rate, I feel confident that things will be handled correctly.

I did mention wanting to maybe trade it in towards the 1825e, as it has no DPF. He told me to wait and see what is going on with mine, which is fine. I'll be honest, even after mine is back in working order, I'm going to likely trade up towards that 1825e model. I don't want a payment again, but they're offering 72 months interest free right now, so maybe it's the right time. I'm just gun-shy on any DPF/emissions now after all of this. Besides the three grand I just threw at this thing over nothing (completely needless government mandated garbage), it has cost me my winter food plots, and put me behind on several other chores that will likely be put off until spring.

I'll keep everyone updated.