Draft Control and Disking

/ Draft Control and Disking #1  

Glowplug

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040HD
There have been a few disk harrow threads here lately. A couple are mine. I was just sitting here visualizing running a disk harrow and a thought, actually a question, came to mind. I can see how draft control is useful in pulling a 3ph moldboard plow. But is draft control useful, or recommended, when using a 3ph disk harrow? Or is position control recommended? Of course this question does not apply to the pull-type disk harrows. But the really big, nice agricultural pull-type disks seem to have a different method of controlling the depth of tillage. I was just wondering.

/ Draft Control and Disking #2  
I grew up around Ferguson and Massey Ferguson tractors. Harry Ferguson invented draft control. Harry pitched his developement as highly usefull with "soil engaging implements". That includes a 3-point disc. From my experience, using draft control with a mounted disc is more of a case of need for TRACTION CONTROL than of depth control. Even in plowed ground, 9 times out of 10, the biggest issue with mounted disc's is getting it DOWN to the desired depth as opposed to keeping it from working too deep. In most cases, position control can be used with great results to "gauge" a disc if operating depth is greater than desired.

I have used draft control with my 3-point disc on a few occasions. Hills and too much rain make for lousy traction conditions. Draft control helps in conditions like that. MOST conditions, from my experience, it doesn't make much difference which method I used. (pos. control vs. draft control) BUT, you have to use one or the other and draft control has it's subtle advantages, so, I USUALLY use the draft control.

Now, before I get everyone all in a dither, I generally use a tractor with more than adaquate HP, plenty of weight/traction, and a disc that is just a bit SMALLER than what the tractor is capable of handling. If you're trying to maximize the implement size you're pulling, draft control is probably more critical. I follow the logic that smaller implements/higher ground speed is more efficient. (To a REASONABLE degree)

Long and short of it, I don't think there is a "carved in stone" answer. Try both and see which works best in your situation. There doesn't seem to be any negatives to using draft control, and it does have occasional benefits. All things being equal, use the draft control.

/ Draft Control and Disking
Are you saying that draft control can be helpful in this situation to help prevent traction loss? I can see that one could possibly set up their draft control so that just before they lose traction the implement is raised slightly, thus preventing ever getting to a point of losing traction. In such a situation you could keep moving forward while getting the best tillage without any stopping, slowing, or manually adjusting the implement height with position control. I suppose that would definately be an efficient way of doing things.

/ Draft Control and Disking #4  
Glowplug said:
Are you saying that draft control can be helpful in this situation to help prevent traction loss? I can see that one could possibly set up their draft control so that just before they lose traction the implement is raised slightly, thus preventing ever getting to a point of losing traction. In such a situation you could keep moving forward while getting the best tillage without any stopping, slowing, or manually adjusting the implement height with position control. I suppose that would definately be an efficient way of doing things.

Draft control, when it's working correctly, transfers weight to the rear wheels of the tractor. That's a basic design advantage of 3-point hitch, assisted by the presence draft control. It takes a very sensitive draft control system to realize added traction in slick conditions.

/ Draft Control and Disking #5  
Glowplug, does your Kubota have an adjustable draft control?

MtnViewRanch said:
Glowplug, does your Kubota have an adjustable draft control?

Yes. I have a draft control lever and a position control lever. I can't wait to actually get an implement that I can use it with.

/ Draft Control and Disking #7  
Glowplug said:
Yes. I have a draft control lever and a position control lever. I can't wait to actually get an implement that I can use it with.

Well, it won't be that plow I was telling you about. :( Went after it. Drove away without it. Sprung frame. :eek: China bound I'd say. ;)

Farmwithjunk said:
Well, it won't be that plow I was telling you about. :( Went after it. Drove away without it. Sprung frame. :eek: China bound I'd say. ;)

Oh well. C'est la vie.

/ Draft Control and Disking #9  
I have found no use for draft control when using three point disc harrows this rocky western Kentucky hillside. Wheeled disc harrows work better here because of their greater weight.

As already mentioned, I too experience difficulty getting a TPH disc harrow to cut at any depth in the first place. Going too deep has never yet entered the equation here. I do however exercise the hydraulic toplink when disking. I extend it far enough out to where the harrow is floating. That is, 100% of the weight is on the ground - rather than partially supported by the TPH. That way the discs won't lift when my front wheels hit a depression or crest a rise.

//greg//

/ Draft Control and Disking #10  
ever tried draft with a snow blower? wondering if it would keep a resonable distance...