3-Point Hitch Draft Control Not Working Properly on Kubota M9540

/ Draft Control Not Working Properly on Kubota M9540 #1  

garydstuart

Tractor
kubota m9540
Let me say upfront, I'm new to tractors/farming/tillage...bought some land and have built a Motocross track for my son and I to practice on here in TN. I bought a new tractor (Kubota M9540) last summer and after much research (and having the Kubota dealer take it back to his shop for inspection), I do not believe the draft control is working properly. As I understand it, the draft control helps maintain the appropriate workload on the tractor by lifting ground engaging implements (e.g. chisel plow...in my case) when the elevation changes and/or the implement encounters harder/softer soil - basically, saving the tractor from loss of horsepower or wheel spin.

I've read where there are 2 types - lower link and top link controlled...I've tried mine both ways (top link on the tractor mount and bottom (hole) link (of the 3 potential slots)...neither works.

Any help / advise would be GREATLY appreciated. My local dealer hasn't helped and after contacting Kubota directly, they referred me to my local dealer :(. VERY frustrating...

/ Draft Control Not Working Properly on Kubota M9540 #2  
Have you tried adjusting the draft control lever, you can set it to different levels of sensitivity or reaction. I haven't used the one on our M8540 yet, but used them on our other tractors and you need to find the right setting for what you are doing.

/ Draft Control Not Working Properly on Kubota M9540
I have tried it all the way up and all the way down...and at all points in between...doesn't seem to work regardless of where I set it. Is there another adjustment somewhere?

Thanks for the quick response!

/ Draft Control Not Working Properly on Kubota M9540 #4  
There is an adjustment rod on the left side of the top link attachment point. But it shouldn't need adjustment.

To test the draft control:
>take off any implement
>with the tractor running pull the lever nearest the seat (next to the 3PH lever) all the way to the rear
>put the 3PH lever all the way down (foward)
>take off the top link and put the pin back in the top hole
>take a long bar and place it between the top link pin and the top link bracket from the bottom
>pull up on the long bar to move the top link bracket simulating compression of the top link
>the lower arms should move upward under hydraulic pressure
>releasing the lift on the long bar will allow the lower arms to drop back into position

These instructions are from memory on a M7040. If they don't work put the long bar in from the top into the top link bracket and pull down. I used a 5' digging bar.

Incidentally, the draft control is mostly useless in my experience. With a plow it sometimes works but the trip or shear pin usually go first.

/ Draft Control Not Working Properly on Kubota M9540 #5  
There is another adjustment that can effect your draft control. If your tractor is equipped with a "down speed control knob" (usually on the base of the seat between your legs). Check your owners manual to see which way you need to turn it to speed response up. Turning it one way all the way can lock the arms in an up position, turning it the other way gives you a faster down speed. If its too tight, it's next to impossible to get the draft control to respond. For ploughing it should be set at a faster down speed.

The more up the draft control lever position is, the less load required to get the draft control to function.

/ Draft Control Not Working Properly on Kubota M9540 #6  
I have tried it all the way up and all the way down...and at all points in between...doesn't seem to work regardless of where I set it. Is there another adjustment somewhere?

Thanks for the quick response!

GW obviously knows more about this than I.

Here is a pretty good video if you haven't already seen it, about 3 minutes forty seconds in he explains how the draft control works.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TX5J5suE-Gs

Thanks Dave. I believe I have my speed control set at the highest (fastest drop) level. I'll experiment and see what happens.

GW,

Thank you so much for your detailed response. I will give this later this week and see how it behaves. It is disappointing that Kubota hasn't been more helpful given it is a NEW tractor...but this forum is great! Especially to someone new to all of this stuff!!!