Drain water off low area in farm field - pond?

/ Drain water off low area in farm field - pond? #1  

MNBobcat

Platinum Member
I would like to tile a low area in my field but I have no place to drain the water to. I'm wondering if anyone here has dug a small catch basin (pond) and ran their drain tile so that it dumps into the pond? If so, do you have any photos you could share?

When running drain tile, apparently you can use an excavator and put a laser on the bucket. I haven't been able to find any info on that and I have no idea how that is supposed to work. Anyone know or have photos?

Thanks!

/ Drain water off low area in farm field - pond? #2  
How many acres of ground is this small pond supposed to hold water from? How big is the area that is currently the "low" spot?

Ultimately the water has to go somewhere. Once the "pond" is full, any additional rain is likely to spill outside the hole and you would be no better off.

When you say you have no where to drain the water to......there is always somewhere it "can" go. (unless its below sea level). Is it that you have nowhere close to drain too? No where on your property to drain to?

Around here, farmers get easements all the time to run tile across other properties to get to an outlet.

/ Drain water off low area in farm field - pond?
The low area is about 60 - 80 feet wide and about 325 feet long. I could drain it into a swamp on the neighbors property but the County doesn't want to allow that. I hadn't thought about an easement. I wonder if you normally have to pay something for an easement?

The pond couldn't be very big. I was thinking about the size of a swimming pool.

/ Drain water off low area in farm field - pond? #4  
The low area is about 60 - 80 feet wide and about 325 feet long. I could drain it into a swamp on the neighbors property but the County doesn't want to allow that. I hadn't thought about an easement. I wonder if you normally have to pay something for an easement?

The pond couldn't be very big. I was thinking about the size of a swimming pool.

Why does the county not want to allow it?

What is the elevation change between your low spot and the swamp? Is there a significant hill or something that you would have to trench through?

If your ground retains water, and sounds like it does, I think digging a catch pond, will result in the same low lying wet area, only with a hole/pond in the middle. Dont think it will do much to dry up the area around.

Water can only go one of 3 places.
1. Evaporate. And it dont sound like its naturally doing that enough for you
2. Down into the ground. Again, not doing that well enough for you, digging a small pond wont change that
3. horizontally. Over the surface, or thorough tile. Ultimatly to a lake, river, etc. The fastest and most efficient way to remove water

/ Drain water off low area in farm field - pond?
I was talking about draining the drain tile into the pond. You don't think that would work?

Our County is weird about some things. I may address it again with them, though.

/ Drain water off low area in farm field - pond? #6  
Be careful that the federal people don't say you are draining Wetlands. They get picky and mean about that. Ed

/ Drain water off low area in farm field - pond? #7  
I was talking about draining the drain tile into the pond. You don't think that would work?

Our County is weird about some things. I may address it again with them, though.

No I dont think it will work, unless there is significant elevation change. And for that large of an area to be wet, it sounds like there isnt much elevation change.

Tile needs to be 2-3' in the ground, and all draining to a pond.......once the pond is full the tiles will lay full of water and pretty much quit draining.

/ Drain water off low area in farm field - pond? #8  

If the land is declared a wetland by the county/state. You can get a large fine and be forced to restore if area is drained

/ Drain water off low area in farm field - pond? #9  
Do you have an organized county drainage district in your area ? Maybe get them involved . Around here drainage is high on the list , farming .