Drawbar pull capability

/ Drawbar pull capability #81  
There was a time tractor pulling ability was rated by how many plow bottoms it could pull.
Yep. Seen a lot of videos on youtube, of big tractors pulling 20+ bottom plows. But I'd think this would vary enormously by not only regional soils, but also recent weather.

/ Drawbar pull capability #82  
New a guy who had one in a bus. Sure sounded different than say a Cummins with a Turbo.

I missed out on buying a good running MFWD Oliver with one, even had a FEL. Don't need it but sure would be a "neat" tractor to have.

I was thinking about Robert "Paxton" McCulloch as well, he tooled up and offered supercharger kits for the "New" Ford Flat head V8's in 1937 Now that is Hot rodding a High Performance stocker in the early days.

First start of a Ford flathead in many years, sporting a McCulloch supercharger

My first foray into the world of supercharging was back in the late '90s when I got my hands on a new-in-the-box Paxton V-belt driven compressor that a customer had purchased years back for his Volvo P1800 and never installed. We fitted it to a 1964 TR4 with a specially made, extra thick copper head gasket to reduce the static compression ratio. If I remember correctly, it had an internal planetary step-up drive that used ball bearings, not gears, to increase the speed of the rotary vane compressor wheel. Talk about blower whine, and that thing got HOT! Big smiles when you hit the gas, and pure panic when you went for the brakes.

Newer belt driven Paxtons use the same type compressor section as a turbocharger, sort of a hybrid. Of course, the "turbo" in turbocharger refers to the turbine drive section, not the compressor. Figured I better make that clear enough to save others the trouble of 'correcting' me. lol

Last edited:
   / Drawbar pull capability #83  
I have never heard the term supercharger used as a generic term that includes turbochargers as well.

And a turbo charger blowing up is not a common thing at a tractor pull that would make one question the visor being up on the driver.
Well, if you haven't heard it, then clearly it doesn't happen. ...or you don't hang around the shop talking to old gear heads much. But, I agree that in common parlance, supercharger means PTO driven, and turbocharger exhaust driven, etc.

My comment was made in jest, and I also doubt there's much additional risk avoided by flipping the visor down. I also believe that when you're wearing safety gear for a reason, in a public exhibition in front of other people's kids, you have a responsibility to do it properly and set a good example. jmo

/ Drawbar pull capability #84  
Well, if you haven't heard it, then clearly it doesn't happen. ...or you don't hang around the shop talking to old gear heads much. But, I agree that in common parlance, supercharger means PTO driven, and turbocharger exhaust driven, etc.

My comment was made in jest, and I also doubt there's much additional risk avoided by flipping the visor down. I also believe that when you're wearing safety gear for a reason, in a public exhibition in front of other people's kids, you have a responsibility to do it properly and set a good example. jmo
Well let's see, looks like a mid summer picture. Likely a warm to hot summer day wearing a flame retardant driving suit and a full face helmet to abide by the rules for his class and pulling association.
Visor open equals much better visibility and at least a bit of ventilation, so actually safer with it open.

/ Drawbar pull capability #85  
Well let's see, looks like a mid summer picture. Likely a warm to hot summer day wearing a flame retardant driving suit and a full face helmet to abide by the rules for his class and pulling association.
Visor open equals much better visibility and at least a bit of ventilation, so actually safer with it open.
Strange, looks like cool day in mid-March to me, high 40's to low 50's. lol To each his own. Safety equipment is a PITA generally, until you actually need it.

/ Drawbar pull capability #86  
Ultimately all those factors boil down to co-efficient of friction between the tire and the earth (here soil conditions, tire construction, etc.), and the weight presented to the ground by the tire's surface, however it gets there (ladder bars on a drag car, or wheel weights on a tractor). Of course, if you want any sort of meaningful comparison between tractors, the soil part of the equation must be held constant.
I believe the Nebraska tests are done on concrete not soil.

/ Drawbar pull capability #88  
This actually an entertaining tread.
Seems like tractors attract entertaining people.) And hey, another resident of the PNW! Ohio transplant here. What part of the Midwest did you move here from?

/ Drawbar pull capability #89  
Seems like tractors attract entertaining people.) And hey, another resident of the PNW! Ohio transplant here. What part of the Midwest did you move here from?
I left Nebraska blizzards, tornadoes and the distance.