Drill Doctor

/ Drill Doctor #21  
Grinder might be nice too, not sure about that learning curve.

If you had someone to show you how, you'd pick it up in a couple minutes.;)

Seems as this is becoming a lost art just like putting a logger's splice in wire rope.

/ Drill Doctor #22  
This has reminded me I know someone who could teach me how to do this. I will have to ask next time I see him.

/ Drill Doctor #23  
If you had someone to show you how, you'd pick it up in a couple minutes.;)

Seems as this is becoming a lost art just like putting a logger's splice in wire rope.

or adjusting a 'non adjustable' mechanical voltage regulator.

becoming a lost art.

soundguy

/ Drill Doctor #24  
I had the origional drill doctor and wasn't overly impressed. Then I got the drill doctor 750 when it came out and the difference is night and day. It takes a little practice put the results are a bit the cuts straight and true.
Bill

/ Drill Doctor #25  
I was a bench grinder guy for the longest time. I resisted buying the DD because of the price. Aft two years ago I broke down and got the 750x. Since then I haven't used the bench grinder for anything. Since moving into the new house they (2) are still sitting on the shelf in the basement with no signs of ever getting mounted to a bench or stand.

I still think I could do a better job with the grinder and I know I can repair a broken bit quicker but to say it's faster, I don't buy it. Saying that all you need to do is learn how to sharpen with a grinder and then it's faster, well once you learn how to use the DD it's just as quick.

/ Drill Doctor #26  
there's a few different versions. the lower model - the 350 only does one tip angle - 118 degrees and doesn't do split points. the 500 will do angles from 118 to 135 degrees and split points. there's also a couple other models too, but those two are the most common. looking at the site, the 350 doesn't list cobalt drill capability. maybe they use a different sharpening wheel? i've been considering getting one, but if and when i do i'll likely go for the 500. sadly, it's around $100 here.

Just checked and it's the model 350 that's on-sale. I guess I'll look for the 500 or better the 750. I've tried the grinder but have not had much luck with it.

I just checked lowes.com site and they sell the DD350x for $49.99 and the XP for $79.98. Lowes.ca does not even list any Drill Doctor.

Homedepot.com has the 750X for $159 and the XP2 for $79.

Last edited:
   / Drill Doctor #27  
Just checked and it's the model 350 that's on-sale. I guess I'll look for the 500 or better the 750. I've tried the grinder but have not had much luck with it.

I just checked lowes.com site and they sell the DD350x for $49.99 and the XP for $79.98. Lowes.ca does not even list any Drill Doctor.

Homedepot.com has the 750X for $159 and the XP2 for $79.

i thought i had read that you could buy the 3/4 adapter and use it in the 500 sharpener, but maybe i'm wrong - the drill doctor site shows the 750 being able to do a slightly different range of angles, so maybe the base unit is different. for bits over 1/2" i'm generally comfortable hand sharpening them, but for smaller ones i'm not. it's not just a matter of being able to grind a sharp point that will cut, it's making it so that both cutting edges are identical.

in the last couple years i've done more "precision" work, and i want my smaller bits to be as true as possible so the holes go as straight as possible. i've made a lot of smaller parts where i need to have multiple holes line up precisely. there's no oversize drilling allowed for stuff like this, and i don't want a bit where one side leads the other and the hole wanders or ends up slightly off. this is mostly for small stuff. if i needed precise holes that are larger i'd probably bore them instead of drill them.

/ Drill Doctor #28  
I spent many years in a career running machine shops.
Have wore out 3-4 Drill Doctors over a bunch of years.

In the situation I was in with the materials we used, a Drill Dr. saved us a lot of money in resharpening costs. Another advise will be to ALWAYS buy quality name brand drills.

Most people are too rough on drills when using them in hand feed drill presses and especially hand drill motors. Learn to be consistent in the way you feed a drill and change to a sharp drill as needed to avoid breaking drills.

I agree, it is good to know how to do sharpening "by hand" and it is a good way to rough grind a drill and finish the edges in the Drill Dr.

When I get to doing projects this spring, I'm going to have a new one......

Your millage may vary......
Good luck

/ Drill Doctor #29  
i thought i had read that you could buy the 3/4 adapter and use it in the 500 sharpener, but maybe i'm wrong - the drill doctor site shows the 750 being able to do a slightly different range of angles, so maybe the base unit is different. for bits over 1/2" i'm generally comfortable hand sharpening them, but for smaller ones i'm not. it's not just a matter of being able to grind a sharp point that will cut, it's making it so that both cutting edges are identical.

in the last couple years i've done more "precision" work, and i want my smaller bits to be as true as possible so the holes go as straight as possible. i've made a lot of smaller parts where i need to have multiple holes line up precisely. there's no oversize drilling allowed for stuff like this, and i don't want a bit where one side leads the other and the hole wanders or ends up slightly off. this is mostly for small stuff. if i needed precise holes that are larger i'd probably bore them instead of drill them.

You can buy the chuck for larger drill bits for the 500 but it doesn't save any money. If someone was unsure if they would use the DD then they could buy the 500 and if they liked it get the larger chuck.

/ Drill Doctor #30  
I have accumulated literally hundreds if not thousands of bits in coffee cans over the years.. I dont know why it took me so long to figure out that i should start sharpening them...Probably cause i just slowed my drill press down to 200 rpm and saw what low speed sharp drills can really do....LOL.....Just bought a DD 350x from canadian tire for the sale price 49 bucks..I plan on "teaching myself" how to sharpen drills on a bench grinder( same way i learned to weld..lots of patients and scraps) but it is nice to have the DD to keep one set sharp while i practise on the others..

That being said i have my sights on a buying/learning how to use a Mill in the future..:D