Drive loader up the side of a pile

/ Drive loader up the side of a pile #1  

Darryl N

Tractor
Kioti CK2610 HST loader/backhoe
I'm a novice, so I would like opinions on this technique. Machine: 25hp compact loader/backhoe with R14 water filled tires.

In 4x4 low range, with a full bucket, drive about 6 feet up on to a large-ish pile of dense brush/dirt, while simultaneously raising the boom and dumping the bucket. Curl the bucket and lower the boom while rolling backwards off the pile. This was very effective at shaping the pile verticallly. Tractor remains level side-to-side and does not feel "tippy", but the incline is perhaps as much as 30 degrees. Nobody told me I couldn't or shouldn't, but in hindsight it does seem a little, uh, sketch.

What do you think?

/ Drive loader up the side of a pile #2  
I occasionally run my tractor up or down 25-30 degree slopes without issue. I would have to really see what you're doing to have an opinion, but safety wise, it doesn't sound too crazy.

I guess my potential concerns would be the pile crushing or collapsing in an unpredictable way, or debris popping up and jamming something under the tractor.

I have a large burn pile every year, and usually just dump the brush then bring the loader and pallet forks down on it to pack it down.

/ Drive loader up the side of a pile #3  
Climbing a steep hill while raising a loaded bucket? I suggest making sure you always wear your seat belt and keep the ROPS up. Top up your life insurance if you have a young family. Make sure your will and powers of attorney are up to date.

Other than that what could possibly go wrong? If you drink your beer from bottles while operating your equipment it spills less. Party on!

/ Drive loader up the side of a pile
Vivid imagination. :LOL: OP says brush pile, not a steep hill, 6' linear distance up the side, dumping bucket while raising boom.

/ Drive loader up the side of a pile #5  
Hard to say without a video but, the fact that you are here asking about this leads me to think you yourself think it is a risky practice. Stop before you get hurt or puncture a tire or something.

/ Drive loader up the side of a pile #6  
I do the same thing and my only concern is what the engine oil does when climbing that steep pile. I've been doing it for years with no problems so I guess the oil still lubricates adequately.

/ Drive loader up the side of a pile #7  
Pretty much what I do on my compost pile if I'm using the BX, just that the pile is on decent slope to start with. The LS lifts high enough to just pile on top but it's what ever I'm using.

/ Drive loader up the side of a pile #8  
I’ve been doing it for many years with no problems.
Ever work in a processor gravel pit?

/ Drive loader up the side of a pile #9  
I do the same thing and my only concern is what the engine oil does when climbing that steep pile. I've been doing it for years with no problems so I guess the oil still lubricates adequately.
that's a good point, for short time probably not a issue... it all depends where is the intake of the oil pump ... I have heard this for driving on side hills since some pump where on one side... Nascar mediated this by having a deep end in their oil pan and having the suction there.

/ Drive loader up the side of a pile #10  
I don't see any problem with it as long as the tractor stay level side to side and there isn't anything poking upward that could cause damage to the tractor, I wouldn't get carried away with it tho ... and I would keep the rear tires on solid ground. The front oscillating axle can handle a good grade differences not like the rear.