Driverless Cars

/ Driverless Cars #101  
One major problem with all of the so called active car technology that has been researched and NOT corrected these self driving and auto cruise devises are not responding to motorcycles.
And I also want to see them navigate dirt roads and paved roads with no lines.

/ Driverless Cars
One major problem with all of the so called active car technology that has been researched and NOT corrected these self driving and auto cruise devises are not responding to motorcycles.

Given the # of incidents with larger items, it's safe to say these systems appear to be weak at detecting pedestrians.

Rgds, D.

/ Driverless Cars #103  

And that's different than human drivers how?

/ Driverless Cars
We were going to meet a client, 250 miles away. The guy who was in charge was following his GPS. We were 25 miles away and I knew that we were in trouble when it told us to leave the highway. While the road kept getting worse it took me awhile to convince them that we needed to go back to the highway and take the long way around. The route the GPS was showing is an old RR bed, which I walked with my grandfather way back in nineteen sixty something. Our destination was a Navy training base, so I knew that it hadn't been upgraded.

:laughing: ...... and, we want to automate this consumption of data ?

Maybe I'm not giving the manufacturers their due....... this could be nothing more than a convoluted way to sell more replacement vehicles...... :cool:

Rgds, D.

/ Driverless Cars #105  
I just want to be able to hit cruise and take a nap on long interstate routes. I get sleepy easily anymore on boring drives. How about a far left lane that is only automated cars then car can wake you up a couple miles before the exit. If you don't wake up it keeps going for safety and maybe at some point https it the break down lane.

I wonder how well the system will work with towing trailers, backing and maneuvering, also parking lots.

/ Driverless Cars #106  
I live on a tiny, unpaved heritage road. It is funny to see gigantic motor homes cruising down our road in the summer because somebody's GPS thought it would be a great shortcut. Even funnier is winter, then the road isn't plowed past our house, but GPS still tries to send people through. The mapping needs to be improved as much as the guidance software.

yup.. navigating dirt roads. will the driverless car understand 4wd needs? what about puddle avoidance that hide holes that a human driver will instinctively avoid.. etc.

/ Driverless Cars #107  

no lines.. poor street signs.. bad gps.

How about the gps that sends you to dead ends that jump major roads like interstates.. when there is no real way to cross.. but GPS thinks there is.

/ Driverless Cars
no lines.. poor street signs.. bad gps.

How about the gps that sends you to dead ends that jump major roads like interstates.. when there is no real way to cross.. but GPS thinks there is.

Evil Knievel rides again !

...... probably shouldn't even joke....... :rolleyes:

Rgds, D.

/ Driverless Cars #109  
Evil Knievel rides again !

...... probably shouldn't even joke....... :rolleyes:

Rgds, D.

Is it coincidence that you started a thread about driverless cars, then another about road rage because of idiot car drivers? :D

/ Driverless Cars #110  
Will driverless cars have a computerized finger?

Bruce