Driveway camera/alert systems

/ Driveway camera/alert systems #1  

BigBlue1

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD: 2520 & x758
Anyone have recommendations for a good system that can go at the end of a driveway and alert (via phone) when someone drives in?

My ideal system would have the following features:

- Decent quality camera, preferably with video capability
- Long range transmission to base station in house (need 600')
- Ideally solar powered
- Send me an alert via Internet/phone/app when someone enters the driveway

I've pondered cell-capable game cams but from what I've been able to learn they aren't always synchronous (i.e. the notification and picture might take minutes to receive). I've done a little web research and from what I can see, most long-range systems are only motion sensors, not cameras. That seems odd, but maybe it is due to the bandwidth required to transfer the images over long distance wireless?

Thanks for any ideas!
Rob

/ Driveway camera/alert systems #2  
You could mount a regular security camera at or near the house aimed at the end of the driveway. Many of them have motion detectors as well. When they detect motion they will immediately alert your cell phone and you can see who's there. Of course a stray cat, dog, deer, or whatever will also set off the motion detector giving you an alert.

/ Driveway camera/alert systems #3  
Just bought a Dakota Alert system for my driveway. A much simpler alert than your description. They offer a system to do exactly as you described.

/ Driveway camera/alert systems #4  
You list 4 things, pick any one of them.

Nothing off the shelf will do everything you want. Try homebrewing your own system.

/ Driveway camera/alert systems
You could mount a regular security camera at or near the house aimed at the end of the driveway. Many of them have motion detectors as well. When they detect motion they will immediately alert your cell phone and you can see who's there. Of course a stray cat, dog, deer, or whatever will also set off the motion detector giving you an alert.
The end of the driveway is 600' from the house. No motion detector would go that far (that would not also have tons of false positive signals). Plus, the driveway curves and there are trees between the house and end of the driveway.

/ Driveway camera/alert systems
You list 4 things, pick any one of them.

Nothing off the shelf will do everything you want. Try homebrewing your own system.
Well, I've seen plenty options that offer motion sensors and satisfy the last 3 bullets. Just not with camera.

Rob

/ Driveway camera/alert systems #8  
600' is not beyond the do-able range of a network based camera system IF you have a home network. You may need a booster point or two though since each leg shouldn't be more than 300', give or take a bit.

AC or battery/solar could be used to power the relay points.

Network wireless links can go miles if set up properly.

Gates block access so nobody can just drive in unannounced. Gate openers and controllers can be set up with access codes you can give to delivery drivers and others you want to allow access to. Many controllers have camera and intercom/announcer capabilities and can log access code/card use so you know which card/code was used when. They can also be programmed with schedules so any card/code can only be used during certain days or hours.

But all of that costs some amount of money and takes some degree of installation time and skill.

I have that kind of controller on my front gate about 150' cable feet from the house. This is a pass/walk gate only with an electric latch. I also have a gate with opener on my driveway, but no controller. It only uses the key FOB remotes.

There is also a pan/tilt/zoom camera 20' up on a pole that watches the entire front yard and can be set to record full time, by motion activation or on a schedule.

Camera was sub $100. Front gate controller was around $100 and the various network wiring and components were another $100 or so.

/ Driveway camera/alert systems #9  
How about a trail cam for hunting. The ones many are using now use cell towers and send straight to your phone. As long as there is cell service on both ends it don't matter how far away.

/ Driveway camera/alert systems #10  
You don't necessarily need to install it at the end of your driveway. Could maybe put any detection system after the last curve closest to the house. All just depends on your preference, of course.