Driveway Gate - 'how to' questions and a challenge

/ Driveway Gate - 'how to' questions and a challenge
Thanks for all the great feedback so far. Based on the numerous comments on width I did some measuring last night and think I can set the columns a little wider without it looking funny and get a 14' gate in there, which should give me extra width should the road be improved in the future. It also gives me some extra room for snow removal, which is good.

Another question - Anyone ever had columns like this professionally installed? I am looking at having a contractor do the building of the columns themselves due to severe time constraints on my end (work). The first estimate came in at over 7k just for the columns. I'll get more estimates shortly but that seems pretty high to me. If you've done it yourself what are the material costs like? I'm planning on the gate itself being ~2k - ~3k plus the opener, and was hoping this would be a $5kish project total.

/ Driveway Gate - 'how to' questions and a challenge #22  
Well probably can't compare Az and Ma But that whole fence you see in my picture including 4 columns was 6,000. does not include the gate.

/ Driveway Gate - 'how to' questions and a challenge #23  
$7k for the columns is scary high - ridiculous - ludicrous to me...but I am here in Georgia....just East of Atlanta..Country but yet metro too...and that work here...just for the columns would be no more than $1K for the labor plus the stone...just my guess for here locally...I mean think about it...6ft. x3ft.x3ft. - I mean that is not huge ...they are not attaching a gate...running electric...Even for MA...I think it is robbery....:2cents:but what do I know ?;)

/ Driveway Gate - 'how to' questions and a challenge #24  
By the way, code in NH for driveway width requires 15 feet of clearance. Don't know what Mass code requirements are.

$7k for the columns is scary high - ridiculous - ludicrous to me...but I am here in Georgia....just East of Atlanta..Country but yet metro too...and that work here...just for the columns would be no more than $1K for the labor plus the stone...just my guess for here locally...I mean think about it...6ft. x3ft.x3ft. - I mean that is not huge ...they are not attaching a gate...running electric...Even for MA...I think it is robbery....:2cents:but what do I know ?;)

Agreed. It's a first quote, I think he may also have some high end stone in it for some reason. Expecting 2 other quotes shortly, which should give me a sense. Even in MA that's pretty insane... At that price I'll be doing it myself and saving about $6,000

Well probably can't compare Az and Ma But that whole fence you see in my picture including 4 columns was 6,000. does not include the gate.

Thanks, that certainly helps put it in perspective as well! What was your gate & opener? I figure those costs are probably consistent across areas since local labor likely isn't involved.

By the way, code in NH for driveway width requires 15 feet of clearance. Don't know what Mass code requirements are.

Thanks. There doesn't appear to be a code for where I am. It's all by the town and the town doesn't regulate them, nor do they regulate the private road that I'm on. If it were a town road it'd be a different story and if it fronted a town road it may also change the requirements (at least the setbacks). This may be the only thing more regulated in NH than MA!

/ Driveway Gate - 'how to' questions and a challenge #27  

i agreee.. scarry high!

/ Driveway Gate - 'how to' questions and a challenge #28  

it is high. my good friends are masons... and they look at you..your property..and your houseguests... and then give you a price. That should be very clear. WHen your plumber drives a cayenne, you drive a bentley... and your wife is in the panerama...you are going to be asked to pay accordingly... in this scenario a bud quoted his new F350 into the mix.... 6 pillars...wall removeal etc... 80k...to start. prices always go up.... two pillars is 4hours work. maximum.. two guys will do the work... and they don't get paid that much... figure labourer at 25cash and the owner taking all the rest.

Check out the stone costs...and then figure out say 500 labour for the half day...maybe top up a bit..but not 6k.. that's a trivial job for a stone mason.

cheers

it is high. my good friends are masons... and they look at you..your property..and your houseguests... and then give you a price. That should be very clear. WHen your plumber drives a cayenne, you drive a bentley... and your wife is in the panerama...you are going to be asked to pay accordingly... in this scenario a bud quoted his new F350 into the mix.... 6 pillars...wall removeal etc... 80k...to start. prices always go up.... two pillars is 4hours work. maximum.. two guys will do the work... and they don't get paid that much... figure labourer at 25cash and the owner taking all the rest.

Check out the stone costs...and then figure out say 500 labour for the half day...maybe top up a bit..but not 6k.. that's a trivial job for a stone mason.

cheers

Thanks, that is good info. I definitely agree with the estimates, it's amazing how numbers come down to earth when you get a few people involved or challenge them. I have a nice house, but it doesn't mean that I'll overpay for work. We actually see that a lot and end up doing business with the people who are honest up-front. The others I tend to write off and won't do business with because they're going to screw you any chance they get if they think you're not watching.

/ Driveway Gate - 'how to' questions and a challenge #30  
We put in an Elite opener by Liftmaster with a solar setup. Keypad on the outside & inside. We have trees surrounding our driveway and had to run the wire to the solar panel about 50' away after we found the initial setup didnt get enough light to fully charge. This one has 2 batteries and the scissor arm action. The code for the local city requires 15' and a Knox lock for emergency personnel. Here's a few pics of the initial setup.

ForumRunner_20130905_205409.png

ForumRunner_20130905_205544.png