Driveway gravel

/ Driveway gravel #21  
This would be my preference also. I put snow tires on both mine and the wife's car every winter, so it's absolutely no issue for either of us to break trail and march up the hill to the road in 4-6" of new snow. But then an amazon van comes down the drive, or grandma picks up my kiddos from school, or a stranger is lost... and they get stuck fast.

But even more than that - if I leave too much snow on the driveway, it eventually compacts into an ice sheet up here in colder Michigan. Like, a literal 2-3" thick sheet of glare ice. Again our snow tires can pretty easily drive uphill on it still, but it's deadly for anyone venturing down on all-season tires.

I'm probably going to start keeping a sand/gravel mix pile under a tarp or crude roof, so that it can stay dry and still be scoop-able in late winter.
To expand on this a little… do you drive and pack the snow to create a firm base before plowing early in the season, so that you are not constantly digging into the gravel? That should help to minimize the gravel that’s pushed off your drive. It gets a bit more challenging when you have melts part way thru the winter like this year. The flip side of this depends on the vehicles and tires you use in the winter. All season tires could lead to other issues.

/ Driveway gravel #22  
1646414091186.jpeg

/ Driveway gravel #23  
I use a 2 stage blower that is set with 1" wide feet 1" above the gravel. Dont plow down the middle if its higher there. No gravel issues. Truck packs the 1" snow just fine with no slip sliding issues.

/ Driveway gravel #24  
For small jobs and smaller rock, use sweeper attachment for string trimmer, either brush or paddle type.

/ Driveway gravel #25  
I use a landscape rake angled for my 1/2 mile driveway and just try to get them the best I can. That is mostly 1-2" crusher stone so they are larger pieces. My parking area near the house is smaller gravel and I just started using the broom/sweeper attachment for my Stihl Kombi system. It puts it al back in the driveway in about an hour or less and keeps my grass where it was.

If the snow was still mixed in you could move the pile back to the driveway and let it melt so the stone ends up back on the drive.
Smart Smart Reply. It works like a charm on your gravel driveway to raise packed gravel back to the surface. Saves me from buying gravel a lot of years. I do 45 degree angle scrape rocks from side to middle. Then no angle and level center from 45 degree scraping. Creates a nice crown effect for rain water run off. Get a 7 or 8 ft width so at 45 degree it will cover tire tracks.

Attachments

• D0D5EC4B-741F-472E-82CE-DEA13CBAB498.jpeg
    D0D5EC4B-741F-472E-82CE-DEA13CBAB498.jpeg
    4.7 MB · Views: 149
   / Driveway gravel #26  
With the snow piles melting, I'm now seeing the gravel that got picked up and left on the grass. Here and there, with a few "piles".

Anyone have any tricks/tips to share on how they put it all back on the driveway, where it belongs? Picking up individual stones (put into a bucket or tossed back) gets tedious FAST.
My neighbor use to Leaf Rake it in piles, on and off, for weeks. He bought this attachment for his Stihl power head and now it's a few hours on a 400' driveway. Of course the best way is to plow high in the beginning of the season until you get a super packed base of snow. The rest of the winter your stones are covered. If the snow piles are still there and not too icy. Backstage them onto the driveway and let the stones melt back on the driveway.

Last edited:
   / Driveway gravel #27  
I bought a Stihl Yard Boss power sweeper a few this years ago to clean up the grass around my gravel road. I know they are a little pricey, but I have tried most everything and they work the best!View attachment 735794
This is what I mentioned in my Post. They truly work wonders on #2 stone (about 3/4" to 2" sized stone)

/ Driveway gravel #28  
I plow the melting snow back onto the driveway. And then I use the backpack blower along the edges after all melts but before the mower pushes it into the lawn.

/ Driveway gravel #29  
That’s funny. But some folks actually believe child labor laws apply to one’s own kids at home.

Dad used to pay us 1 penny per fly swatted.
My dad used to say " you living here for free? You need to pitch in when you are told" now finish you bottle, get you diaper changed and get outside
Ok the last part. I made up. I was out of diapers before he put the lawnmower in my hands

/ Driveway gravel #30  
We rent a pull behind power sweeper from our local rental place for about $100 for 4 hrs. We pull behind the mower or atv. It works pretty well to get the bulk of the rocks picked up. It does pick up dried grass clippings with the rocks too, so we usually dump somewhere not on the main driveway that we want a little bit of gravel but don't care if it has some grass mixed in.