Driving a mini-ex up a slope: safest method?

/ Driving a mini-ex up a slope: safest method? #1  

falfrenzy

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota BX25d
I have to drive a rental Kubota KX-121 mini excavator up a 30-ish degree slope on an access road. Surface is a mix of concrete and roadmix gravel

My plan of action is to have the boom arm out front (fully extended) going forward, and the tracks reversed so the blade is facing rearward and approximately 3 inches off the ground for rear tipping protection.

Please provide your input and thoughts.

/ Driving a mini-ex up a slope: safest method? #2  
Yes, you have it right.

David

/ Driving a mini-ex up a slope: safest method? #3  
A true 30° slope on a road is stupendous. We have a 23° slope on a rural property driveway and it's kind of scary when wet.

/ Driving a mini-ex up a slope: safest method? #4  
30 degree angle

30-angle.gif

Bruce

/ Driving a mini-ex up a slope: safest method? #5  
Seat belt should be used please. It sounds dumb but I took a header in my Volvo EC35 and smashed my head into the glass pretty good. I use it all of the time from that day on.

Regards, Fred

/ Driving a mini-ex up a slope: safest method? #6  
A 30-deg slope looks to be about 57%, or almost 7/12 pitch. Wow.

First thing I found out going up my steep trail is that the low-oil shutdown activated. Disabled that.

Several mini-X makers list some pretty low "gradability" in their specs.

/ Driving a mini-ex up a slope: safest method? #7  
Do you have to come down the same slope?

/ Driving a mini-ex up a slope: safest method? #8  
+1 on the seatbelt. Seems crazy that you'd want to wear one on such a slow moving machine. I've almost been bucked out of mine more that once.

Excavators are fine going up hill. Usually they will run out of power or traction if things get too steep.

Going down hill, well that can be a little different story. I've puckered more than once when going down hill with mine.

/ Driving a mini-ex up a slope: safest method? #9  
I have to drive a rental Kubota KX-121 mini excavator up a 30-ish degree slope on an access road. Surface is a mix of concrete and roadmix gravel

My plan of action is to have the boom arm out front (fully extended) going forward, and the tracks reversed so the blade is facing rearward and approximately 3 inches off the ground for rear tipping protection.

Please provide your input and thoughts.

Exactly right.

/ Driving a mini-ex up a slope: safest method? #10  
Do you have to come down the same slope?

If so, easily accomplished. Blade is down slope, arm about halfway out, bucket down, and you ride the bucket like a tricycle, where the bucket is the front wheel.